OT (veryOT) Nice Old Leather

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT (veryOT) Nice Old Leather
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

I don't usually post OT stuff, but I have a problem that I'm thinking someone on the forum might be able to help me with:

I have a particular "like" for leather, and as such, I have a favorite chair that I hate to give up on, for several reasons. First, I really like it! Second, my good wife bought it for me when I had some surgery something over 20 years ago, and couldn't sleep in bed for awhile.

This is a dark burgundy leather LazyBoy recliner. As beautiful as it was when new back in the '90's, to me, it's even more beautiful now! Leather is often like that,....it "wears" to a very beautiful richness that can only come from time, and use.

Here's the problem,......as beautiful as that rich burgundy leather now is, and as perfect condition as it is in, the mechanical mechanisms of the chair are literally falling apart! I can still sit in it fairly comfortably, but gradually, it has deteriorated mechanically to the point whereby it no longer rocks, locks, or reclines properly as it should.

I have looked very hard for some sort of repair shop that can or will rebuild it mechanically, but all I have been able to find are upholstery shops that would gladly re-uphoster the chair, but merely consider the chair as a piece of junk due to the mechanical problems. Seems that NOBODY will or wants to fix it! An it's certainly beyond my capability, so,.....what to do??? LazyBoy does not repair their chairs and their "attitude" (of course) is to just give it to Good Will, or throw it away, and buy a new one! This one was over $1,000.00 in the '90's, and I can't imagine what a new one would cost, and not have the beautiful "rich" luster that this one has! So, again, what to do???

Anybody have any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 09:40 pm:

I was given a Lane recliner that had been used about 2 months and the folks did not like it.
They had a cat and it had some hair on it and folks didn't want it.Well, I have a really good vacuam cleaner so i used it and some lint rollers and fabric cleaners and it looked great.
Lasted about 3 months then 3 bolts broke out from under it and it sets all coceyed and looks horriable.It will be leaving shortly. It is a shame they can't make a mechinism that is repairable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By j case on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 11:30 pm:

Will La-Z-Boy sell you the parts?

Upholstery shops take recliners clear apart when they reupholster. The mechanism is just some bar iron and rivets in a configuration kind of like a running board luggage rack. I see no reason the whole mess couldn't be replaced fairly easily if they would just sell you or the upholstery shop the parts.

I have only tightened a rivet or two and have never replaced a whole mechanism. It is true that the upholstery is what is usually shot on a recliner someone is getting repaired.

One possible hangup could be if the frame is broken, or if they used some crap (like particleboard) in there that can no longer hold fasteners. That would complicate things because the upholstery would likely have to be taken loose to make repairs.

Source: I worked in an upholstery shop as a teenager, a long time ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 12:33 am:

Turn you chair upside down and take some pictures of the mechanism and copy down the model number. With these pictures and information, visit Goodwill, thrift shops and consignment shops until you find a Lazyboy chair of the same type as yours with the same mechanism that is in operable condition. When you find one, buy it and when you get it home, turn both chairs upside down and replace the worn out mechanisms of your chair with the good mechanisms of the one you found.

As someone who has a Model T and therefore is mechanically inclined, it should be a piece of cake. This is what I would do. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 12:53 am:

PS. In a chair that age, the frame might be stapled together and has loose joints. This can easily be remedied with “Titebond” yellow wood glue, screws, and support blocks in each corner to bolster the joints. Use wood clamps and bar clamps to square up and make sure the joints of the repaired frame are tight. If the screws are loose due to the screw holes being wallered out, get a 3/8” brad point wood bit and a box of pre-cut 3/8” fluted wood dowels. Drill the hole out as deep as possible without going through the frame, apply glue to the dowel and in the hole and tap the dowel into the hole with a hammer until it bottoms out. Cut the dowel off flush with the surface after it dries. This will allow you to make new holes for the screws. Make sure you drill a pilot hole using a much smaller drill bit than the diameter of the screw so the threads of the wood screws have plenty of wood to bite into. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 08:22 am:

I think Jim's answer is the best.
It is what I was thinking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 10:08 am:

Sorta OT but LazyBoy related. A friend ran the warehouse at the LazyBoy store in Manchester NH a dozen years or so back. LazyBoy policy is to take a product back whatever the customer complaint. At least in this particular store (not sure if it's a corporate LazyBoy thing) product is to get scrapped, they don't bother shipping back to the factory. He was always taking home perfectly fine furniture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 10:22 am:

Harold.... we just purchased Lay-Z-Boy recliner/power chairs and sofa. Their big push was on timeless warantee on mechanism and fabric.

Call customer service and go directly for a supervisor with your problem,,,, if not satisfied tell them your next call will be to media.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 05:24 pm:

Harold,think outside the box.It is time to restore.When my wife asks to have me do a odd job or something and I start coming up with excuses as to why not her reply is If it were on one of the cars you would not think twice about doing it!
Cheers Pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 08:48 pm:

I have seen recliners, even awesome leather ones, on the side of the road just waiting for someone to take home. I already have two which came from thrift stores and are Lazyboy brand. They were used when I bought them and still work great, I would turn yours over and make it work or find one at a garage sale for parts. They are the best and worth fixing. Ace Hardware probably has the springs and any other part if you ask.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration