OT OT OT Not T horseless carriage, yes again

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT OT OT Not T horseless carriage, yes again
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 09:08 pm:

Someone responded to my horseless carriage parts wanted ad with the offer to sell me the tires off of this beautiful CDO. Now I'm thinking about building something similar first and doing a high-wheeler next. I envision a gray car, more or less the color of the tires with black fenders, red pin striping, possibly red seat, and on and on. Somebody bought a horn at a yard sale and built his car around it, so I will start with the tires and build around them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 06:06 am:

I'm with you. My F100 goes to fast so I like driving the slower 24 T. Now my 24 T goes to fast. I think a horselesss carriage might be just what I need next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 11:33 am:

When my cars go too fast I just close the throttle a little.
If someone volunteers to post a video I will send him a video I took of an 1898 car driving along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 12:51 pm:

First picture is the original gasoline powered 1897 Olds Trap, the second a non-running copy by the late Joe Merli, and the third is my running driving copy built from photos. Making your own is a great way to pass the time. Aaron here's a link to my 1910 diesel REO truck videos.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7fcM5r7JfE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqGSEy4f_KY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Saturday, November 17, 2018 - 11:40 pm:

Tommy,Shooting you some more pics of body parts I have for your consideration. Pair of runabout body side panels,make unknown,$150 pr,side of front doorless touring body less back section,prob Ford $65,pretty neat seat riser with aluminum trim on corners $75. All plus shipping.picturepicture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, November 19, 2018 - 07:52 am:

Tommy when I build a horseless carriage I do a size mockup using the wheels I plan on using. Cardboard cut to size will serve the same purpose. I build a 2X4 ''frame'', attach the wheels. I then just look at it as I walk by for a week or so. Your eye will pick out anything you don't like before you actually build the car. This method saves a lot of mis-cuts of materials and restarts. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 01:52 pm:

here's some unusually odd and ugly wheels for your project!
https://annarbor.craigslist.org/grd/d/doctors-buggy/6753546179.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

First impression...I like 'em. I'm not sure I would use them for my first build though.
Anybody ever seen them elsewhere? What other unusual designs were used?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

Those are spring wheels. Unsprung chassis on buggy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 06:05 pm:

Gary, look at all of the photos. There are front and rear springs on the buggy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 08:26 am:

Hello Gary:
Any idea where one would acquire the White rubber needed to build the correct early tires like those shown on Joe Merli's trap? Also curious what limitations to operation of Joe's trap are? That's a fabulous looking creation, and the motor looks especially detailed. I'm sure the Lansing Museum would love to have this as an operational display for events, etc.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 03:11 pm:

Merli's car is a static display only. He passed away about 2 years ago. A really nice guy to me. His car is in the Lansing museum, I do believe. They also have the original from the Smithsonian. Contact some of the Amish wheel wrights. They will know. That's who built my wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Friday, November 23, 2018 - 02:00 pm:

Sometimes these scratch-built replicas can run into some real WORK....NO plans, fabricate virtually everything. One solidyear of part-time work.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration