Using cut-off axle shafts for drifts and driving tools

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Using cut-off axle shafts for drifts and driving tools
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 12:57 am:

As mentioned in a current post, a cut-off rear axle shaft lends itself to making a great heavy duty drift or driving rod. 1'' solid steel driven with a 6 lb hammer made short work of any rough project in the body shop. I struck the end of one I had used for years about 2010. A piece of steel the size of a pea shot off the edge of the shaft and penetrated my abdomen, stopping just under the skin. A trip to the hospital, luckily it didn't go any deeper than the skin. A quick probe and a Tetanus shot and I was good to go.If the axle shaft you are using has started to flair out from being struck, cut it back to a clean end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 03:44 am:

That goes for any struck tool, keep those ends cleaned up. sorry to hear about your ouch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 05:26 am:

Yep! I've seen punches, wood splitting wedges, chisels, etc. with the head mushroomed to almost twice the size of the shaft. Scares the crap out of me. I always dress mine down when they just start to swell, just takes a minute that way. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 09:44 am:

IIRC the famous 1930ís pilot Wiley Post lost his eye because of that. Not sure though if his story deters or promotes such practices...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 09:51 am:

I have several axle stubs by my Harbor Freight hydraulic press for use as drivers. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 09:58 am:

I use an old rear axle for putting in rivets. The dimple in the end is perfect for centering the rivet while I hit it with a BA hammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 10:16 am:

I set an axle up in a hole on the end of a workbench which allows me to mount a wheel when I want to work on it.

Here's a wheel where I've painted the steel and then sanded and varnished the spokes. You can't see the workbench but you see the end of the axle. When I'm not using it, I pull the axle out of the hole and set it aside. Works great!

wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 11:03 am:

Gary: Friend of mine had that happen with a wood splitting wedge. Went to the ER, doc took it out and would not give it to my friend. Said Law makes him send all metal pieces he takes out to State Lab to is if it was a part of a bullet. Did yours do that? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenneth w delong on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 11:39 am:

When i was young Model T axels were used to stake down our buzz saw.Now we heat with corn and cherry pitts and do not need the old saw! Happy Veterns Day! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 12:15 pm:

Dan Hatch: if they sent it off I never heard about it. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 01:21 pm:

Every farm in the Midwest had a few of them in the barn for various purposes. I remember the circus museum in Baraboo used them as tent stakes. A few months ago my wife and I stopped at a deli in Memphis and I found one on Madison Avenue driven into the ground to stake a tree recently planted. Still had the gear on the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 01:37 pm:

I sharpen the ends of axle shafts and use them for toothpicks....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration