Band removable ears

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Band removable ears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Petitjean on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 11:32 am:

Which side do the removable ears on transmission bands belong on? Passenger or driver side?

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 11:36 am:

Mine are on driver side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 11:42 am:

Left facing forward. Driver's side if you steer from the left side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Petitjean on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 11:58 am:

Thank you!

Looks like I got it right - following the service book, installing from the right will put the ears on the left (drivers).

Thanks again

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 02:10 pm:

Driver side I my cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 02:33 pm:

Matt, you will have trouble with that band clip when you install the hogshead. It's practically impossible to withdraw when the cover is nearly seated. Use another method to keep the band ears in place and you'll have an easier time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 03:10 pm:

A plastic wire tie works sometimes. I drilled a tiny hole in each side to pass a thin wire through even though I don't remove the hogshead. This also makes it easier for me to start pedal shafts, washers and nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Petitjean on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 05:43 pm:

Yes, unfortunately the band tool can't stay on when installing the hogshead. I used thin wire to hold them while installing the nuts. Not easy.

Thanks for the tips

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 06:06 pm:

Usually I change bands through the opening in the transmission cover, but when I remove the cover, to for example replace worn pedal cams, I take these steps in putting it back together. First after pulling the bands into place I wire the ears together with the ears slightly to the right from center. Then I lay the gaskets in place and sit the hogshead in place while guiding the clutch release fork in. After getting all bolts and cap screws started to make sure nothing will shift out of place, I install the pedals and springs screwing the nuts down just enough to make sure they can't shoot off the end of the pedal shafts. After cutting and pulling the wires out I gradually draw down the cover by alternately tightening the bolts until everything is tightened evenly. Then once you give the bands an initial adjustment you're all done. The reason for installing the pedals and springs before drawing the hogshead down is it makes it much easier to remove the wires as they have a tendency of getting pinched between the band ears and the pedal shaft which makes it a b#$ch to get them out. :-)

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 06:23 pm:

Why do they make that tool if it can't be removed???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

It holds the ears together SO you can wire them !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 08:20 pm:

Steve, that's what I've always used the clamp for.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 09:41 am:

A few repro items are made like that - good idea but not tested. I bought one on faith too. It is t hard to make one like the original Ford tool for the purpose which can be withdrawn after the cover is seated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 10:13 am:

"It ISN'T hard to make".

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration