OT Harbor Freight jack

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT Harbor Freight jack
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

I've had a OTC floor jack for years, but now it leaks on the floor almost as fast as I fill it.
Talked to a rebuilder and he said to throw it away they were not good from new. Does anybody know of a good jack that won't break the bank?
Maybe HF ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 01:53 pm:

I have had a aluminum harbor freight floor jack for 10 years with no issues. My son has had the same one at his house for 5 years and he has used it a lot. $59.00 when they have them on sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 02:56 pm:

A good jack will last a lifetime, but if it starts to leak, it will cost more to have it repaired than to but a HF jack that may last just as long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 03:11 pm:

I have two of those 1.5 Ton HF jacks that I paid 59.99 for and have abused them to no end and they still work great. The lift is not real high so sometimes you have to put a block on or under them. It weighs about 30 pounds. I also have a 3 ton from Costco that has been great and cost about $100. Higher lift and weighs about 75-80 pounds. I almost always grab the HF first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 03:29 pm:

I bought 3 of those 59.99 hf jacks last spring. They are so well thought of here that two of them have already been stolen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 04:15 pm:

Hard to believe that someone would stick their neck out for a $59 HF jack? That blows my mind!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 04:24 pm:

I'm currently in the market for a 3 ton aluminum jack.

I've been looking at Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, Lowe's, online....essentially everywhere. I don't mind spending a bit more for something that has good reviews.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 05:49 pm:

Let me put my 2 cents in. I have the HF aluminum jack well its worth the money. It works fine for light cars like a model T but for something heavier I wouldnít trust it to crawled under the car thatís for sure. If youíre going to use it for a modern car get the HF jack stands to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 06:05 pm:

I have a HF 2.5 ton aluminum floor jack. I paid about $135 with the usual 20% discount. It works great and has sufficient lift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Cwynar- Hell, MI on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:38 pm:

I got 2 of the 1.5 ton harbor freight jacks. Perfect size to take off the handle and toss in the trunk. I bought my first one about 10 years ago because of how thin it is larger ones wonít fit under my lowered mustang. Second one I keep under back seat of my t.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:38 pm:

HF floor jack are good had mine 15 years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

Just about all new jacks are made over seas and the only real difference is the color and the stickers they put on them. A quality USA made jack today starts at about $900.00. Not worth the money as finding support is now a joke.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

P.S. HF and the like work just great. Use a jack stand after getting her up and before putting your head under it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:55 pm:

I would never crawl under anyones floor jack. As far as I am concerned they are for raising so you can put a jackstand in place. I leave the jack in place but always use a jackstand before I crawl under anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:56 pm:

I always use stands and won't get under anybody's brand without stands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

Why are the jacks from the far east hard to rebuild so that they last, or non-rebuildable at reasonable cost? I had some long ram ones that I was interested in saving (I had made special bases for them). I had them redone despite similarly pessimistic comments from the rebuilder. They leaked again, severely, in no time at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 08:05 pm:

The off shore or foreign made tools and jacks are better made than they use to be. As far as floor jacks go buy a alminum jack from HF. I bought a really nice looking 2 ton floor jack at an auction years ago that would leak down. It was a Blackhawk USA made jack. The guy at the hydraulic ram and pump shop told me to save my money and buy a new one. The labor to repair it was to much and he couldn't compete with a new foreign made good jack,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 09:35 pm:

Val and Tim are correct. A jack is just for raising the car to put stands under it. Always use stands.

The magic word for buying a jack without breaking the bank: auction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 11:04 pm:

I usually ask my wife, kids, in-laws and parents to team up to buy me one thing every year for Christmas...it's always car-related.

This year I'm asking for an aluminum 3-ton floor jack. I've given them several options (with specific part numbers, etc).

They complained at this practice at first...claiming that I wouldn't be as pleased as I would be with a gift that was a surprise. I've convinced them that nothing could be further from the truth for a car guy who adores his old cars and tools.

It took them a few years, but they've come around.

And, for what it's worth...I totally agree about the jack stand thing. I NEVER go under a car without them...EVER. A guy got killed in my neighborhood several years ago by a car falling off of a jack. It was totally senseless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 06:44 am:

The barrels inside are not made of a hard material, there for they score and wear out and get out of round. Thereís the reason why they leak down. Thatís why they are hell to rebuild. Older USA made ones had hard sleeved cylinders and you only had to change O rings.I did one of my own once upon a time. Labor of love but that is about it, (overseas made that is)

All the Best,

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 07:42 am:

I bet you dollars to donuts that the package your new jack stands come in or the instruction sheet, says to never get under a car using jack stands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 08:56 am:

I have a 3 ton HF floor jack. For the little I use it, it has worked great. I have had it maybe 5 years. What I do not like, The lift high is not enough for the T, but I know that going into it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 10:21 am:

Love my little HF alum lift.....it's just that, a lift, jack stands do the support. The HF lift is light weight, only use it on the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 10:32 am:

I have a HF spreader bar that I use on my old jack. Will it fit the 3 ton HF jack? You use it in place of the lift pad, great thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 11:44 am:

For $3.00 you can buy a new seal and put it in in an hour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 01:48 pm:

Good safety info on this thread, and I'll take it just a bit further in the area of jack stands. Believe it or not, there are still those who are foolish enough to use cinder blocks to support a vehicle that they will crawl under!

Do not ever, EVER use a cinder block for anything but that which it was designed for,.....construction of a wall or building footing. They will crumble without warning and KILL YOU! It actually happen to a friend and certainly made a life-long impression on me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 07:33 pm:

Hey Warren, where can I buy a seal kit for my OTC jack? $3.00? I would give it a try for that kind of money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 08:23 pm:

Tom take it(your old seal out of the jack) to the bearing supply or hydralic supply and they will get you the correct seal....done several paid $2.98 for the last seal including tax

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 08:59 am:

Thanks Warren, never thought of that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration