Relining bands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Relining bands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 05:51 pm:

I relined my bands with Kevlar and a trailer hitch sure was helpful. First I turned the hitch sideways in the vice to use the mounting hole to poke the hole in the band.

The I used the ball to send the rivits home with a small hammer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Koke Twigg-Smith on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 05:57 pm:

Ingenuity! I like it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 06:24 pm:

Great idea !! The finished product looks good too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

Doug,

You be the MAN!

All the Best,

Hank the shoeless hillbilly in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 06:31 pm:

Doug,

Don't forget to check to see if the bands are round. Use an old drum if you have one or anything of the same diameter. Use wire or a zip tie to close the bands to the right diameter then check that the lining is contacting all the way around. You can just bend the bands by hand if necessary.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 06:42 pm:

Finding something that works is the trick.
Great job Doug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:16 pm:

Doug,
Did you split the rivets apart a little before you used the trailer hitch ball to set them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:32 pm:

Yes first I squeezed them together to get them through the lining then slightly spread them and hit the back and they splayed apart nicely

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

All very clever. I will likely borrow some portions of this.

For those about to perform this job, if you have the tool, it's best to get the rivets to reverse-curl back into the material rather than pound them flat. Flattening places a sharp bend in the rivet and it is impossible to get all the flattened brass sufficiently down into the band material. With the curled rivet, it will clinch far deeper into the band and have no stress risers...this provides for many more miles before the rivet contacts the drum, and the tangs will never wear off or come off the rivet (at least they won't for many many more miles than flattened rivet tangs). By the time they contact the drum, the lining is mostly gone anyway...not so with tangs pounded flat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 09:44 pm:

IMG_0328 copy 2.JPG

IMG_0348 copy 2.JPG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 08:59 am:

Thanks for the post Doug, We'll be doing this in the next few weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 09:19 am:

I use a 4 lb. hammer turned sideways in my bench vise.
Most any larger hammer that has a flat face is good for a backup when putting on new band material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 09:34 am:

New Bib's Steve? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 10:55 am:

Winter overalls. I think they were fairly new then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

Seeing Steves tool and what Scott said I will take a small punch and curl the ends down into the lining

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 12:54 pm:

I believe the instructions that came with my bands said to use a tool like Steve's (or the special band/brake rivet pliers) to spread and curl the split rivets, then bash the rivets down with the ball end of a hammer until they're recessed below the surface of the band lining.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration