What should I have bid on this 1912(?) barn find?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What should I have bid on this 1912(?) barn find?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

This T was rolled out of a barn at an estate auction. It was a touring that had the back half cut off (not available) and a later turtle deck added. The engine was free but cranked with emergency brake off (rear wheels did not move). There is a home-make repair to head. Engine serial number has been removed but has 3-dip pan. What do you think it is worth?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 06:56 pm:

Cool car. Nothing like that in our area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:11 pm:

What an amazing T. Thanks for sharing the photos.
I won't make a guess on the value but seeing it was a treat for me.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:12 pm:

What do you mean serial number removed? I see the s/n boss behind the timing gear. What is the number on the Id tag on the dashboard? Im sure Ray Wells could make a new back seat section for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:28 pm:

Add up the parts value and add a grand
Has nice job on modernized headlights has later coil box better kool shocks
With only seeing the pics shared 7500 worth in parts
Be many reason why you can turn the crank and car wont roll on T that set for years
12 still has S/N behind the cam gear
But i bet everything is worn out yet kool factor add some $$$ to right group

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:31 pm:

only a few thousand had S/N behind timing gear...would have to be a super early '12...remainder of '12 production was either behind or above the water outlet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

What did it bring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:51 pm:

I looked at a 1912 touring about a year ago in similar condition. It for the most part had correct parts for 1912, engine, rear end, driveshaft and chassis. The body was rusted but really good, no big dents or rust through. It would have been really hard for me not to just put it back together and keep it as an original car. It was $10,000.00 which I would have gladly given. Somebody beat me to it. I have been sick every since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 08:24 pm:

Wow - neat car. Does anyone know what brand the shocks are? I am building an early speedster and have a set with the brass covers (the passenger side in the first picture has the cover) and have wondered what brand they were. The only ID is FA1 on the steel portion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 10:20 pm:

Kurt

If you are using any form of shock on the front end of your car, you need to review the enclosed link, and ensure that yours are not similar. If they are, safety would dictate that you replace them.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/399037.html

I hope to not derail or drift this thread but have had too many PM's go to spam for this to not get to the intended party

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

The ID tag on the dash placed in mid-12 production. The engine has a machined area above the water outlet but the numbers seemed to have been covered up/removed. It went for $3700 to a enthusiast who specializes in old trucks and tractors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 10:37 pm:

I had three 1912s. Two had the serial number on the right side. The numbers where just over 100,000. The one with the number on the left side was number about 120,000. That number was to the left of the later place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

It has the bump behind the timing timing gear used with the oil fill timer. It looks like the serial number is behind the timing gear. $3700 Is a steal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

It was a bargain at $3700. Basically a mid to late '12, if it is decent, the engine and rear end alone would have been worth nearly that much.

And Kurt B, or anyone else. Definitely DO NOT use that style of front shock absorber! They have a nasty habit of becoming unstable at moderate speeds and have caused several serious accidents and a couple deaths in the past ten years. No matter how cool they look, they are not worth the risk. The rear version may be okay to use, but the fronts? NEVER!

Back to WOW what a wonderful car! I sure wish I could have had a chance to get it for near that price. I don't know where the money would have come from, but I would have hated to pass that up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

It needs a lot of work, but at that price it's worth a lot of work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 08:45 am:

Thanks for sharing, You would never have gotten it for that price because, the other guy was there! He may have been willing to go to who knows $20,000. It still had to be exciting to be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 02:34 pm:

3700 sounds like a good price to me. Rear end is not original and a number of chassis questions are not clear. Great that it has these original Brown lamps, though these would cost considerably less to replace than to restore. Curious who the body is made by? If first year Fisher, then you could make the argument that this is a more valuable Touring body as compared to higher production Hayes and Beaudette.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, November 12, 2018 - 04:19 pm:

Wow,hard to beleive that much of a early T went so cheap.I guess the market is dwindling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

Wayne is correct. Those front shocks are known to break and have caused injury & death. Cut them up and throw them away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 10:41 am:

Gosh! A 1912 with doors! Amazing! I guess they liked them!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration