OT Lift oil change oil drain

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT Lift oil change oil drain
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:48 pm:

For those of you who change oil with a vehicle on a lift, what are you draining the oil into, and do you like it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

Mark,

A quality 55 gallon drum cart, a good 55 gallon drum, and a 10" funnel with a tube and adjustable collar where she goes into the drum. A lot of fire halls will take your used oil if they are using a waste oil heater.

All the Best,

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

I use a 16 gallon drum with a funnel kit, pour it into a 5 gallon bucket and then into the 55 gallon. A guy with a waste oil burner swaps them out. He has a Ford truck junkyard and I get parts cheap !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Kaiser Waukesha WI on Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 08:11 pm:

Northern tool 57032 oil drain has worked good for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 09:19 pm:

I have one of these and like it. I threaded the end of the waste hose and added a ball valve to allow more control when draining.

Joe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C0YKJ6E?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

I almost forgot to mention, Tim Morsher helped hold the bucket and funnel to drain mine last time. I didn't even get any on him !!
He's all right, well as right as the rest of us...lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Monday, November 19, 2018 - 10:37 am:

In Michigan, any business that changes oil has to accept waste oil brought in by "citizens."

I have a bracket made for my floor jack that lets me lift the whole front end of the car at once. To change the oil I lift the front then pull the plug and let it drain into one of those plastic pans with a pour spout made for the purpose. Lifting the front gets more of the oil to drain.

If you buy your oil in gallon containers then you have a convenient container to collect the waste oil in after you re-fill the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, November 19, 2018 - 10:50 am:

My Uncle left me this. Since I don't have a lift I found a good home for it. The sign was more appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Monday, November 19, 2018 - 11:23 am:

My take is get one you can handle. 55 Gal's of oil is heavy. I use a 5 Gal drain from Harbor Freight so I can lift it when I go to the dump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, November 19, 2018 - 11:29 am:

My wifes Subaru Service Centers generate approx. 500 gallons of used oil each month. We use energy efficient used petroleum burning furnaces to heat our shops.

We drain our oil into roll around tanks that hold 25 gallons. When its time to drain them we hook up an air hose to pressure bleed the roll a round to out storage tanks. We use quick disconnect fittings to minimize any possible spills.

You can buy a decent home use drain tank at Harbor Freight for around $150.00. These come with an adjustable wide drain basin. For home use they are fine.

We have heated our shops with these furnaces for nearly 20 yrs and my heat is free. Today we would have to pay to have our used oil picked up. The best thing is I don't care how long the techs leave the doors open as I said the heat is damn near free.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 10:02 am:

20-gal-portable-oil-lift-drain-61251.html-----This Harbor freight oil drain unit a bit pricey($159:00) but works very well, for me.....Very portable and the compressed air oil drain has a nice long hose and makes it easy to empty into a container for disposal. Highly recommended! Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 08:15 pm:

Thanks to everyone who responded. Good food for thought as usual. Richard's photos brought back memories of the ones I used to see at service stations years ago when I was a kid. Now I know what was inside that white box!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 10:30 pm:

Wait a minute Rich. Does that sign say "Ask her to go parking"? ;-)
An old service shop had a five gallon one with a tall neck and "funnel" for draining. I should see if it's still around at J's!
Nice thread!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration