Engine Stand Adapter Help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Engine Stand Adapter Help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 11:05 am:

Sounds like I will be pulling the engine to do some Tranny work. A friend has an engine stand I can barrow. As I understand it I will need to make an adapter.

Anyone have a design or recommendation to make an adapter plate? First off, I have zero welding ability. I’m sure I can find someone to help with any welding if needed.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 11:11 am:

I have one on a stand now, I'll have to get a picture.
I know one ear is bolted to the water inlet bolt hole and I think just an extension needs to be made to hook up the front.
It looks like a HF stand...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 11:20 am:

Ideas and dimensions in this older post

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/157033.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom McGoldrick, Laguna Hills CA on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 11:56 am:

Bought this one from Lang's and it seems to work well. You only need to drill holes to match you stand.Lang's adapter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

I bolt two of the arms to the water inlet and bolt a piece of angle iron to the bottom rail of the block. Two holes are drilled in the angle iron for the other two arms of the engine stand. I think I had to turn the bottom tho arms “backward” to compensate for the lower part of the block being closer to the stand..... I’ll have to look tonight, have a block bolted up now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 12:36 pm:

Yeah, what David said...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 05:15 pm:

Mine is the one available from Lang’s. I won it at the MTFCA Auction at the meeting in Richmond.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

Simple, no welding just a length of angle iron and use the holes already in the plate of the engine stand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 07:07 pm:

Tony can you show a picture of how that adapter is attached to the top of the motor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 07:55 pm:

This is the Lang's sold version, fits great, and you can place it for balance if you have the flywheel and trans already attached. Mounts to any engine stand.

Bolts to water inlet holes, and pegs go into two of the bolt holes for the crankcase bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 08:01 pm:

Sorry, wrong vendor, the plate I posted is from Birdhaven Vintage T Parts, from their Texas T Parts division.

http://www.texastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TTP&Product_C ode=T3001-ADP&Category_Code=

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 10:29 pm:

Two attributes I consider essential.

The lower mounting at the pan rail should allow the pan to be fitted while the engine is on the stand. This means just pegs in the adapter, and nothing below the pan rail.

Secondly, the tube through the top of the stand needs to be long enough so that the whole engine, transmission and pan assembly can be rotated. This is specially handy when mounting the trans and aligning the fourth main and pan.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 12:31 am:

As Allan says, two pegs into pan bolt holes and two bolts at the water inlet. I made mine adjustable for the center of gravity with or without the transmission mounted, but it doesn't have to be that fancy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 02:23 am:

Besides the pegs to make mounting the pan possible, it's also nice to have good access to the mid main bearing nut behind the adapter for torquing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 01:23 pm:

Here's one that John Zibell and I came up with a few years ago. We were looking for one that would easily allow the nut for the center main to be accessed. John designed it- I built it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 09:10 pm:

http://www.texastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTP&Category_ Code=s

T3002-$39.95

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration