Front Motor Mount Replacement Procedure

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Front Motor Mount Replacement Procedure
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur Babitz on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 12:31 pm:

Newbie question: I came upon a front motor mount with nice threads which I would like to use to replace my current worn out mount. I just want to slide the old one out and a new one in, but of course it's not that easy. Can you folks offer wisdom on how much I have to disassemble to slide in the new mount?

I'm assuming I start by supporting the frame with jack stands and dropping the spring/axle. I've done this before (rebuilt entire front end). But how easy is it to get the nose of the engine up an inch or two so the old mount can slide out and the new one in? Do I undo the other mounts to give it some play? Or will I be able to jack up the nose of the engine a little with it still attached to the frame? If I undo the other two mounts, what else do I need to watch out for? I'm having trouble understanding what parts will flex enough to let me do this job. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 03:08 pm:

When I changed mine, The radiator was off the car for repair.I removed the rear motor mount bolts, and the timing and throttle rods. I was able to jack up the front of the engine and change out the mount.I don't remember how high, it wasn't much, maybe two inches. once the mount was raised up a little, I slid it over to one side to remove it. I did this with the car on its wheels, so I didn't move the axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur Babitz on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 07:18 pm:

Thanks Darryl, I guess the spring and axle aren't going anywhere with the car sitting on them. Not sure why I thought I needed to drop the axle to do this job.

What is the flex point? The transmission-drive shaft connection?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 08:09 pm:

Degree of difficulty will depend on which front mount you have. I forget the date of change, but I think it's the pre-1921 double U-clip trunion would be pretty easy to change. The later one will require more clearance if it can't be made to slide down the front frame member from the side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 10:22 pm:

Mine is a '25, and I thought it was easy to change. Both holes in the top, for the cap that holds the pan to the mount were stripped. I had to change it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration