Floyd Clymer whistle tire gauge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Floyd Clymer whistle tire gauge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 08:43 pm:

Growing up in the 1960s I have a recollection of learning to read by myself for the first time. Of course, it was the Sunday funnies or comic strips. I havenít really progressed that far in all these years. In the funnies, one of favorites was a small square block each week by Floyd Clymer. I donít remember if it even had a name, but every week he told me about a different old automobile or related item. Many, many years later I was able to buy a small collection of auto books. I think there were 6 main issues published with lots of other related publications. Iím certain there are books of his out there that Iím not aware of. Early on in my collecting, I had to find one of his through the windshield spot
Ights. There were many variations of these, and the history itself is fascinating. As a person interested in production methods, it is fascinating to see the spotlight evolve from a hand made, one at a time product, to a mass produced item. The early ones are certainly better, being made from billet materials and aluminum castings.
While searching for a junker light on eBay to harvest a part or two from, I can across one of his air inflator whistles. I read about these as a child, and never forgot. I took a chance to purchase one, and today Iím like a kid again, with it in my hand. Iím not really a collector of tire gauges, but when Iím out traveling, and see one different than what I have, I buy it. Today I have the ultimate tire inflator , I likely will not be buying any more.
Here is Floydís story about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 09:00 pm:

Now that is cool. :-) I want one now.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 09:48 am:

Yup, that is cool :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 10:23 am:

Tim,
We had a similar King Syndicated feature in out paper by Tad Burness that ran for several years in the 1960's and early '70's. These were eventually compiled into a few handy little reference books you can still buy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bean on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 10:51 am:

I collected these from our Sunday newspaper each week.
Eventually, I pasted them in a scrap book. I think I still have it somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 10:56 am:

"I think I still have it somewhere" may well be my epitaph.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 07:23 pm:

Floyd Clymer was a very interesting person, who began his career as a kid selling automobiles to adults. He later became an inventor and entrepreneur. He was one of the founding members of the antique automobile hobby as well as a founding member of a few clubs we enjoy to this day. He became a writer/author of many books about automobiles, and for a time was one of the largest small publishing companies in the nation.
All of us that enjoy antique automobiles owe him a lot.

Tad Burness is also an interesting fellow. I met him about 45 years ago, while I was studying another interest of mine, comic strips (always nice when two hobbies intersect). Along with his lifelong interest in automobile history, it may interest some people here that he was also an avid collector of 78 rpm records, and to a lesser extent, phonographs.
In my own collecting of 78 rpm records, I had accumulated more than 2000 records, from about 1902 up until 1934 (music styles were changing, and I preferred the earlier styles). Among those 2000+ records, many of my favorites were produced and sold as the "Romeo" label (I think they were sold through S H Kress & Co five and dime exclusively). Most Romeo records had a wonderful '20s jazzy sound, and I had maybe fifty of them. Tad Burness, I found out when I visited with him, had thousands of records, hundreds of which were the Romeo label. He told me that he liked the Romeo records for the quality and sound also, and was trying to get a full set of all they had issued.

An interesting side note of Romeo records. I have one that was a "promotional" issue. On one side is a two minute commercial for S H Kress & Co, and the Romeo record label. On the other side "you will find" a sample of their jazzy recordings. And yes, Tad Burness also had a copy of that same one.

Just another of the interesting people this hobby has made it possible for me to meet in my lifetime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 07:27 pm:

Tim M, I intended to also mention, what a nice accumulation (collection) of tire pressure gauges that you have!
Thank you, and all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration