I'm gonna rebuild my spare transmission

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: I'm gonna rebuild my spare transmission
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 09:50 pm:

The parts I bought on Monday included a magneto and a flywheel with magnets and a transmission attached. I plan to build a coil tester with the mag and flywheel. The transmission I will rebuild for a spare. So far the trans looks good. I bought all the stuff for $50.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 02:00 am:

I don't know if what I'm doing qualifies as a "rebuild". I hope to clean and lube everything and store it away for just in case. I will need to remove the tapered pins that the triple gears rotate on in order to use the flywheel on my coil tester build. If the bushings all seem ok I don't want to replace them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 02:10 am:

You have a very nice brake drum in that set, lugs show very little wear, if not cracked your've had a good win.
Remember when removing those triple gear pins that they press out towards the magnet side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 01:25 pm:

Here's how I removed the shaft. I didn't have a puller so I used some chain and bolts. Worked for me.
Everything has a coat of surface rust but the drums look goo so far. I'm anxious to see how well it all cleans up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

That transmission looks to be in great shape. A tell tale sigh of a good transmission is the condition of the of the brake drum and it looks great going by the lugs.
If it were mine I would save it for a good spare instead of using for a coil tester. But thats me.
You got a nice one for 50.00. Worth about 200.00 at a swap meet if the drums aren't cracked which I don't think they will be.
Lucky you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 04:59 pm:

I won't need to use the transmission to build a coil tester will I? I have another shaft coming so I plan to use the one I now have to build my spare transmission, since these parts have been together probably for almost 100 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

If you put any real pressure on that rig at all you may well have broken the brake drum. If you did not, you are very lucky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 07:59 am:

Hi Tommy fellow nc guy here. I also have a spare trans I plan on redoing and I am also building
A coil tester. I need to find the gauges for mine.
My car is a 24 but I am going to build a 26 trans
To take advantage of the better brake drum design.
Philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 09:21 am:

I would check the brake drum for any cracks going by the way it was removed. The transmission drums are fairly fragile cast and can be broken or cracked.
Years ago and not knowing any better I was trying to separate the drums on a rusted transmission with a large screwdriver. WRONG thing to do! I cracked a piece of the drum right out!
You can drop a drum on a hard or concrete floor and you crack or break it. And by the way I have done that also. Dang it.
Live and learn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 10:14 am:

I don't like your methods, but that is up to you! Using the correct Ford pullers is the way to go. Definitely get all the drums magnifluxed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

I'm glad it didn't take much pressure to do the job. The shaft came out easier than I expected.
Philip, please keep me informed on the coil tester build progress. I need a brake drum for mine. Are you near Randleman? Did you see my post about the parts for sale there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 03:37 pm:

Those three drums should have just lifted off the shaft.

You will need a real Ford 5Z326 Transmission Gear Puller to pull the gear off the other end of those drums to separate them and check for cracks.

The tricky part is assembling that transmission again and getting the 3 Triple Gears time right, so the drums will turn freely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 05:12 pm:

There is a "horseshoe" mark on each triple gear where it meshes with the driven gear - 27 teeth on the triple gear so 9 teeth apart - meshes perfect on the driven gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 07:02 pm:

Tommy I am south of graham. I have my coil tester
Built but no gauges. I would buy a new brake drum
I had to bore one out for mine. I will let you know if I find a cheap gauge source. Philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

I have watched Mike Benders videos on transmission rebuilding. He shows how to time the triple gears and wire them in place to set the assembly down onto the flywheel. Bender knows Model Ts. I would love to meet him sometime.
I also hope to meet Steve Jelf and President Trump.
Philip, did you build yours like one on the 'net or freestyle it? Can we see some pics?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 09:35 pm:

Someone gave me one I liked the design but I redid
All of the metal work there are some free plans
On the web mine is similar use pillow block bearings from northern tool.philip

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration