Recognize this tool ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Recognize this tool ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Friday, November 23, 2018 - 01:51 pm:

I sold this to Joe A today and we're both puzzled as to what it actually is.
I believe it's a Model T connecting rod straightening fixture.
There are several different size "mandrel" like the one shown.
A T rod wrist pin end fits between the slot also...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, November 23, 2018 - 03:01 pm:

I have seen these before. As is obvious, laying it down with a wrist pin installed will check the rod for twist. Less obvious is to lift it up and just go over center... the wrist pin will (or should) lay evenly on the top of the posts, checking for tilt.

You'd have to see if a "T" rod does this or if it is for "A" or other brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Friday, November 23, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

Thanks Scott, that makes sense. Is it worth much ?
I imagine Joe will chime in. I think there's 6 mandrels of different diameters. If an A rod is the same stroke, it might do both A and T.
There was a long forked tool with it, I believe to twist a rod. If the fixture was bolted down, I think it would work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, November 23, 2018 - 06:33 pm:

I don't know what this is, but my wife has one just like it in her nightstand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Friday, November 23, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

I imagine you don't give her much trouble, Robert !! lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Friday, November 23, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

I've done an internet search of the manufacturer with no luck. I believe Scott has defined it's use correctly. I feel much more confident buying a tool which is clearly marked as to what it does or what model car it works with. In this case there is no identification. Thanks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration