Pinstripping

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Pinstripping
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Friday, November 23, 2018 - 03:45 pm:

Completing the detailing of the exterior of a 24 coupe. Can anyone please let me know how far below the belt line the stripe goes, and how wide it is
Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Friday, November 23, 2018 - 04:08 pm:

No stripe for 1924

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 01:53 pm:

For what it's worth, striping on Model Ts (as applied in the era) definitely followed the traditions and conventions of carriage and wagon painting. Through the era, most mature craftsmen had learned their trade on horse drawn vehicles.

These pages are from "Complete Carriage and Wagon Painter" by Fritz Schriber, M. T. Richardson, New York, 1891
Showing widths for stripes and their nomenclature.

Interestingly, there is no "pin stripe" mentioned. Examples start with a "hair line", next a "fine line" generally the breadth of existing stripes I have seen on original paint, then the next is "medium", about twice as wide as "fine".
What is most often seen on restorations runs between "medium" and the next wider, the "stout line".

I reckon this is owing to the extreme difficulty one encounters when attempting to master a striping pencil, the specialized brushes and tools of the era have not been a available for decades, and the "dagger striper" we associate with hand striping is, according to the author, best employed to execute the "medium" through "light stripe". I hope the pages are legible enough here to be helpful.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration