OT - what is the optimal speed to turn a HCCF

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - what is the optimal speed to turn a HCCF
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, November 23, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

What is the best speed to turn the canister on a hand cranked cream freezer? What is the maximum speed? I suppose the minimum speed would be something just above zero, so long as the dasher didn't freeze.

I am confident that there are some ice-cream making aficionados on this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, November 23, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

Slower than a Hank crank coil tester.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, November 23, 2018 - 09:48 pm:

Fast enough to keep the sides scraped clean and slow enough to keep from wearing yourself out before it's done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, November 23, 2018 - 11:07 pm:

30-90 rpm. http://www.country-freezer.com/hints.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 12:38 am:

Dead slow idle with HCCF handle through the spoke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 12:45 am:

I think the speed suggested is 30-35 or 30-60 RPM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 09:00 am:

The speed a 6 to 10 year old can turn....THAT is the best speed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon A. Clayton Sr. on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 09:50 am:

We only made ice cream in the winter because we
had no supply of ice. Pop would go to the pond and chop some ice. He put it in a burlap bag and smashed it into small pieces. I was the little one so I turned first. When I got tired my brother took a turn. When it got too stiff for him my father finished up. I don't recall any of us turning fast just a slow steady pace as it slowly started to stiffen up.
Years later, my cousin, always trying to save energy tried hooking his up to his Shopsmith because it ha a low speed. It flung ice cream makings all over the garage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 12:01 pm:

The speed limit is 20 MPH and the store is a 2 mile round trip! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

Tom. Connect the freezer to the rear wheel on your T. Engage the Ruckstell (stock 3.63:1 rear end). Jam the low pedal to the floor with a stick wedged between the pedal and the seat riser. Idle the engine for about 30 minutes. Longer if it is a really hot day. 11 liters per freezer.

If the mix has a high cream content, crank at about 30 RPMs to start or you will end up with butter. After the mix is cold you can crank it faster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Lillo on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 11:54 pm:

Robb makes the very best ice creme! We have tasted it often on our tours.
Harry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 10:29 am:

Tom:

Since a lot of Hit-and-Miss motors are used to power ice cream makers, I found a lot of data on their web site namely www.smokstak.com I was given a John Deere 1-1/2 HP Model E motor that is complete but just needs to be refurbished and dolled up and I have an new ice cream freezer that I will convert from hand cranked to one with a pulley on it. I have a few flat belts and flat pulleys to make an intermediate jack shaft thus gearing it to hopefully about 1 rev per second (60 RPM). I am told that if I do it correctly the motor will randomly hit and miss until the ice cream begins to freeze at which time the motor will start to fire every time and one of the belts will slip and it is then time to serve the ice cream. A Fun Project I hope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 04:02 am:

Thanks for all the input. As you may have guessed, our club has an ice-cream freezer project in the works. I will try to keep you updated as we go along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 06:47 am:

Mmmmm ice cream !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 08:09 am:

Well ... thatís a great way to make butter. I remember my wife and I were on a kick for making ice cream one summer. One day we turned the crank too much and ended up with butter. You should have seen our faces when we put the first spoonfuls in our mouths. Yuck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 09:44 am:

Mark: More likely you didn't use enough salt in the ice, or lost the brine from the ice in a leaky bucket and as a result retarded the freezing process. It is a surprise when you expect icecream and discover butter. I enjoy your posts, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 03:14 pm:

I like butter too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration