Poll: Your Flivver's Happiest Cruising Speed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Poll: Your Flivver's Happiest Cruising Speed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 10:16 am:

My engine seems happiest when my GPS speedometer is reading 32 mph.

Such a pity that's too slow for the highway, 'cause on smooth, level ground, ol' Penelope could just drone along like that all day. -
What's your Model T's happiest cruising speed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 10:22 am:

I concur. 30-35 according to my very accurate OE Stewart speedometer.
Will year and body type perhaps factor in ? Lizzie is a 1913 runabout, I generally roll with the top up and the rear curtain furled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 10:41 am:

Mine is happy around 35-40...I have a Ruckstell with 3:1 gears. If the oncoming hill is of any significant size, she likes to hit the bottom at about 45 mph and will usually maintain 35-40...
I might add, she likes it best at somewhere around 60 degrees outside.

(Message edited by Ruxstel24 on November 24, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 10:46 am:

Our tenure with the model T was pretty short. Using a phone app, our 26 roadster felt comfortable between 37 and 40. The 27 speedster 40-45 but the bitsa 23 RPU enjoyed hanging at 30

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 10:46 am:

Yup, Iíd say between 30-35. I do drive up to 40 on occasion and have had it up to 47ish .... but clearly the engine doesnít really like such high rpms given the standard rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 10:50 am:

The 26 RPU is happy at 28-30 mph. Im good with that also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 10:54 am:

The ol' TT has low speed rear end gears and a Muncie. Flat out in high/high my wife clocked me at 32 MPH, but that's screaming. It's much more comfortable at around 23-25 MPH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 10:58 am:

I should add...she's cool with cruising around 65mph...when I hit the nitrous oxide switch, but only for 60 seconds or so !!

https://media.giphy.com/media/12nbzVphDlKC6Q/giphy.gif

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 11:06 am:

35Ė43

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 11:24 am:

My 27 Tudor with OD 47-50, 26 Roadster 42-45, 25 TT with high speed worm gear 33.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, Prescott, AZ on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 11:46 am:

My í26 Runabout likes 35-40. Sometimes I find myself doing 45+. At this speed, the engine still seems fairly happy and car is stable with regards to steering etc. This is with totally refurbished steering components. Even though I have RM brakes, I wouldnít want to make and emergency stop at the higher speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 12:09 pm:

20-25MPH. Used to be faster... but she's getting tired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

Bob,
In my mind that's the bigger question. How fast a T will go should be limited by it's ability to stop, not horsepower. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 12:19 pm:

Mine stops on a dime...as long as said dime is glued to a brick wall !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 12:25 pm:

No special modifications for speed, so 35-38.

"...that's too slow for the highway..." depends on the highway. A US highway (or former US highway) that parallels an interstate often is almost empty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

What is that on the left, a horse, Steve ?
Can't quite make it out...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 12:39 pm:

Amish buggy, hidden by a windshield bug. Yes, you can get a splatter at 30 mph. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 12:48 pm:

You must have slow bugs in KS. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 12:48 pm:

In over drive on the flat, stock rear end, 50+. Way faster then I want to go! In direct anywhere from 30 to 40 seems ok. But then again I don't have an app or speedometer and the 50+ was told to me by the Model A driven by a friend that was behind me. (My car: Chevrolet overhead, cast iron Warford, VW carb and Bosch front plate)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul wilcox germantown wi on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 12:49 pm:

30-35 seems to be the happiest starts to make vibration noises at about 40

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

33 seems perfect to me. I have one that can go over 60. Some would not make 20 in my beginnings. Most pleasant at 33.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 01:07 pm:

Depending on the road, 35 to 40. 3:1 gearing. 1915 touring car with more or less stock engine. Distributor, Stripe 280 cam, and shaved low head. I will occasionally do 45 if it is a really nice road and traffic justifies it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max Lindsay on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 01:21 pm:

I'm thinking 30-32 with a '15 touring. I'm likely just a sissy with the wood spokes. I believe the engine is all stock. I have a cell phone mount on my window (along with an EZPass... he he he he.. no, really) and I use the GPS. My Steward shows a tad slower than she is actually running..

Separate comment... can you 'adjust' the Stewart speedo to dial-in closer to the actual speed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 02:02 pm:

Based on 55 years of driving T's I believe my engines last many times longer at 33 than at 45 to 50. Others rebuild better engines than I do and results may vary.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

Mine goes great at 55 sitting on a trailer...very smooth no engine noise. LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 02:56 pm:

Steve, that can not be Kansas in the photo. That looks like a hill to me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 03:09 pm:

It's a Missouri hill.

This is a Kansas Hill.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 03:31 pm:

To add a little bit to this.
Iíve found that if Iím driving ordinary roads that if I figure a AVERAGE of 27mph for a 2 or 3 hour trip works out to a comfortable drive!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 03:34 pm:

35 + or - . I got up to 49 once on a long downhill. I don't plan on doing it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 03:38 pm:

30 to 35.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 03:40 pm:

I figure the 27 roadster likes around 30 mph. It stops very quickly at that speed with the original wide brake band .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 03:44 pm:

28 to 30

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 03:59 pm:

Speaking of how fast will a Model T go...Odd no one picked up on this gem:

Police: Man crashes Ford Model T, taken to hospital
Posted: Nov 23, 2018 10:01 PM EST
Updated: Nov 23, 2018 10:01 PM EST

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A man was hospitalized Friday after the antique car he was riding in crashed in Clairemont Mesa, police said.

A 49-year-old man was driving his 1920 Ford Model T roadster on Chateau Drive with a 40-year-old man in the passenger seat around 2:30 p.m., San Diego police Officer Robert Heims said.

The driver lost control of the classic car and went over the curb near Varley Court, crashed through a fence and landed in a deep ditch.

Paramedics had to take the driver to a hospital to be treated for head trauma, though his injuries weren't considered life-threatening, Heims said. The passenger escaped with only minor bumps and bruises.
http://www.cbs8.com/story/39531191/police-man-crashes-ford-model-t-taken-to-hospital

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 04:08 pm:

My bone stock '14 touring car is very happy at 32 to 33 mph.

At 35 it starts to run a little hot, It starts to make noise around 37, at 40 the noise seems to go away, but it has to be a pretty cool day to sustain 40 without overheating. Fastest I have ever went is 45 on a 40 degree day.

Compare that to a Model A where I catch myself accidentally doing 50. The person that bought the last T before the A was likely disappointed. I love my T, but the A is way more car.

Joe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble - New Hamshire on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 04:14 pm:

My 21 touring with standard gears is very comfortable at 35 20 40 miles per hour but it is easier to drive at 25 to 30.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

55 to 60,in the race car.
35 for all the others. All have standard gears. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 04:38 pm:

31... simple as that :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 06:38 pm:

Mine is equally grumpy at all speeds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 06:58 pm:

Each of mine seems to run best at a different speed but they are all between 28 and 35.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 07:08 pm:

I can comfortably drive my 13 at about 35-37. The 26 Touring will easily do 50 but can manage gusts up to 54 with the top down (according to my wife in a 2015 Yukon directly behind me). With the tops up both cars drop about 5 MPH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

My old girl definitely likes being top less...wait, we're still talking Ts right ? lol
My dad had put a roll up rear curtain in the top, not correct for a 24 touring, but quite functional. Tops are like a big parachute and the wind gusts can whip you all over the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 07:32 pm:

I don't have a speedometer, but when I go fast, it feels like 100 in a modern car, until someone passes me! I have passed a meter which says how fast I am going and it said about 42. I can go faster but even at that speed, don't want to over drive the brakes. I can slide the rear tires with the Rocky Mountain brakes but it still moves with the tires sliding, so I don't want to go too fast.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 08:21 pm:

the 26 roadster likes 45-50 the 27 touring likes 40-45 and the 15 roadster likes 35-40

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / Lakeland Mn. on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

I agree with Joe F.....30 is tops for my Tís and 40-45 tops for the Model A. Those are my most comfortable overall speeds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Saturday, November 24, 2018 - 11:07 pm:

It depends on how dusty the track is.

My camper T liked 70 kph (40 mph). It would pull the camping trailer at 50 mph (good electric brakes on the trailer), but 40 mph was more relaxing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 12:45 am:

I liked to run around 50 but could keep out of the way of traffic (CA bay area) on the highways. (warford)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 02:09 pm:

My car likes 38 and 43. but it has a ZHead, Ruck with 3/1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 02:46 pm:

35-40

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 04:19 pm:

I typically cruise in my 26 coupe at 35 mph. I have had it up past 50, but it starts to get kinda noisy at 45.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 04:30 pm:

Youse guys keep talking about engine noise...
Just turn up the radio !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 04:34 pm:

I just turn my hearing aids off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 04:36 pm:

Dave H.,
I never hear excessive engine noise, rattles, squeaks, or other objectionable noises. I just leave my hearing aids home. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 05:47 pm:

Hey Chadwick,

What ever happened to #77?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 05:57 pm:

My primitive pickup with 3:1 and a milled Prus head likes 25-35 and 45-55, but not 38-43 mph, it gets an unpleasant unbalance at that speed that I try to avoid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 09:12 pm:

I agree with the 30 to 35 mph. My car will cruise all day long at that speed. But I discovered, quite by accident, while on tour in Florida. We had the opportunity to take a dirt/sand road for part of the tour. The road was in pretty good shape, but still a dirt road. Most cars were running about 25 mph on this section of road. My car just purred along at 25 mph. It handled the ruts, the unevenness, the hills, everything at a very quiet, strong, 25 mph. Try it sometime...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 11:46 pm:

Tim,
She should be somewhere up in your area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 11:48 pm:

I will take a look around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 12:25 am:

My 1911 with standard gears likes 35-40.
My 1915 and 1919 with 3:1 gears like 40-45.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 11:47 am:

My 23 touring cruised along at 35 to 40 no problem. The "Light Express Delivery" seemed happiest at 20 to 25 mph. But that was one tired Model T...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

No speedometer and seldom bother with GPS, so I can't be sure, but I'm gonna say between 35 and 40. I've had it over 45, but that is just pushing it too hard. I'd be lying if I said I never exceed 35, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 01:51 pm:

You can put me in the 33-36 category. My T seems pretty happy at that speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 03:25 pm:

The score to date:
36 responses for presumed "stock" T's, 32mph average
11 responses for T's with "speed equipment" 46.6mph average
2 responses for TT's - one "stock" at 24mph average
one with higher speed gearing - 33mph average.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 07:23 pm:

I'm with Kep. My 26 Touring is tired and sounds strained above 40 kph (25 mph).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 11:58 pm:

I don't see any Montana 500 guys posting here about where their cars are "happiest". I guess it would be above 50 for sure?

My Torpedo likes 40 to 55 if the road and traffic is good. Dyna Beads and engine balancing is critical.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 07:10 am:

My 26 Touring hums along fine at anywhere from 25-45 mph. There really isn't much difference in smoothness anywhere in that range. When you can adjust for timing and carb changes, that really helps get the best performance at any rpm. So what it really comes down to is what is the driving speed I really enjoy the most, and that's right around 25-30 mph. I enjoy taking my time and seeing all the things I miss when normally zooming right by in the F150. The truck gets me from point A to B. The Model T gives me a driving experience I just never get in the new vehicle or get tired of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 09:19 am:

My experience in my 26 cut off touring is about the same as Kevinís above. The T doesnít much seem to care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 10:17 am:

The "sweet spot for my '27 is 34 gps miles per hour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 11:22 am:

MINE IS JUST HAPPY TO GET OUT, interesting to compare a 96 model t to a 96 year old human, there both beautiful in there own way.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration