New tires for my 1911?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: New tires for my 1911?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 07:24 pm:

My old Firestone non-skid tires are worn out, (wore out pretty quickly) so I need to get some new tires for my 1911. I need 30x3 for the front and 30 x 3-1/2 for the rear. Most tires made today are ex-size and look like clown shoes on early cars.

I'm thinking about taking advantage of the Universal free shipping on their T-Driver, as the OD on their 30x3 is actually 30".
The OD of their 30x3-1/2 are 32".

I'm open to recommendations for tires that look proportionally correct, relatively easy mounting (non-demountable!), yet will have reasonable life expectancy.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 08:13 pm:

Keith, I'm running the Wards Riverside and love the look (Not Oversize). I can't really speak to tread life as I've only run them for one season, but no wear so far.the 30 x 3 were a little tight getting on the rim so make sure you position the valve stem dead on!!!!I did use rim liners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

I don't like the look of the Universal T-Drivers due to the long ridges on the sidewalls.

My preference is Coker Excelsiors (formerly called Coker Commanders). In my opinion, the 30 x 3 tires look exceptionally good on the front wheels compared to the other brands.

- The 30 x 3 are 30" diameter

- The 30 x 3.5 are 31.5" diameter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gregory Scholz on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 12:23 am:

Iíve got Ward Riverside on mine, that were put on in the 70s, still looking great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 05:52 am:

Hereís a pic of the tires on the car, note Iím running McLaren Wire wheels (for guys like Larry, donít worry, I have the original wood wheels restored with tiresmounted ready for show!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 09:40 am:

FWIW Universal T drivers 30x3-1/2" are oversize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 10:38 am:

These are the current Wards Riversides. You can decide for yourself whether they look sufficiently thin.

Another view.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 10:53 am:

IMO the T-driver 30 x 3 1/2s are oversized enough to look great on a 26-27 but are way too beefy to look right on an earlier car, especially a very early car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 11:02 am:

For my part, it seems the oversize -T-Drivers are uncomfortably close to the fender and runningboard. I may be wrong, but I believe the Wards Riversides are also oversize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 11:15 am:

I bought these Coker Classic tires in the 90ís but I can only find 30X3 listed now, even though the picture is a rear tire. In comparison I have one 30X3 Universal ribbed tread tire I bought about 7 years ago. It is larger plus cracked like crazy in short order compared with the 20+ year old tires. I bought the Universal because I couldnít find the Coker at all at the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 11:39 am:

Yes, Riversides are oversize too.

If I'm reading the date code correctly, this "new" tire bought earlier this year is almost six years old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 01:00 pm:

Even worse news. The date plate was put into the mold with non-era correct Phillips screws !! The horror !! ; - )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 01:04 pm:

Watch out, Rich. Somebody's going to accuse you of being a purist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

I'm a tourist and a purist,
An' I don't know what to do,
Should I hang onto the old,
Should I try out sumpin' new ?

I'm a tourist and a purist,
My Model T has got some rust,
My kevlar bands are shredding,
I'm just tryin' real hard to adjust ! *

*Sung to the tune of "Old Hippie" (Bellamy Bros., 1985)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 08:16 am:

Keith, I like the Universal Straight ribbed tire. It wears nice and is easy to clean for shows. I used to use the Coker Excelsior. I am on my 7th set of tires. I rear them down 1/2 and then sell them .
Bob, That is a BEAUTIFUL photo of your 1911 !!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration