Wood Running Board Toolbox?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Wood Running Board Toolbox?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 07:52 pm:

Did they ever make or use a wood running board toolbox back in the day? I'd like a short box that would fit between the doors on my '17 touring. It would only need to be long enough to fit my jack. Any other tools I'd need easy access to would fit in one that size.

I have a long metal toolbox that needs a little work but in my opinion it just uses up too much of the running board's real estate. Making a shorter one out of wood would be doable for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 08:01 pm:

Put your jack, tools, side curtains and other what-nots under the rear seat cushion.

If you do put a toolbox on the car, I suggest putting it under the driver's side fake door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

I've got demountables on my car and was thinking of putting a spare tire mount similar to Steve Jelf's on the running board by the fake driver's door. The idea of a tool box is a place to store items I'd like easy access to without having to pull up the seat. I want a short toolbox so it won't interfere with using the doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

I plan on doing the same, but a metal box about 18" ?
I have a couple longer ones and I think I have 2 small ones.
If I do, I would let the other go...
I'd be afraid of wood warping over time, sun and dampness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

I built this wooden toolbox by looking at dimensions of the real thing and the sizes vary. Since I keep the T in the garage and do not drive in the rain, I am not worried about the wood warping. I did water proof it and I don't think even if it got wet it would warp. That is just my guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 09:01 pm:

I did mount the box on the right side of the car so if I needed tools I would be standing on the right hand side of the road away from traffic. The toolbox on the running board is convenient. The tools are easier to reach in the toolbox than in the turtle deck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Monday, November 26, 2018 - 01:29 pm:

Tim - to answer your first question, yes they did. Here's my '15 touring as a barn find back in the early '80s. No telling when a previous owner added the toolbox, though.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration