An Upholstery Job

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: An Upholstery Job
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 01:28 pm:

So this week, I drove the Tin Lizzie for the first time since my spine injury back in May. -I ran it with the front tires down to 45 psi and that did smooth out the ride quite a bit (but don't do that on the rear tires which have to absorb all the acceleration and braking torque).

Still, I was pretty uncomfortable. -That was mostly due to the seats having been re-upholstered and overstuffed—especially in the wrong places—with foam instead of springs, by some previous owner.

I've driven other Model T roadsters and tourings having perfectly comfortable seats which recline just a little bit instead of leaning forward just a little bit like mine, so it's looking like, for the sake of my back, I'll be needing to re-upholster.

It's unlikely that in my present state of health, I could do the pulling and tugging and wrestling necessary on install a do-it-yourself kit, so I need an idea of how much to expect to pay an upholstery shop to do the job for me. -Who out there on the forum knows about such pricing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 01:32 pm:

Bob, your best bet is to contact Mike at Classtique, and then Elizabeth at her place, Mike will have her email and phone. I think it's "Class It Up" or something like that. She can even come to your place if you're willing to get on her "traveling schedule". I did, and worth every penny. The seat bottoms Mike can do at his shop and ship them to you. I had Elizabeth do the seat backs. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 01:34 pm:

Here's Mike's website. https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark A Strange on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 01:38 pm:

Class-it-up's web site:

http://www.class-it-up.com/

or, on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ElizabethInstalls/?eid=ARANMSQ8YF3daSlPjaUmKPzb3_7RSz3_ yF6IWUdUDiTjw3q8lStxVbxrhRPjrIKX8PUlAipDWTLI1DGA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 07:51 pm:

I too bought a car with overstuffed upholstery. A pal & I took it all out and found the original Ford stuff was all missing and somebody had cobbled together something out of leftovers from some other jobs.

We took an upholstery kit and some fresh foam from the local upholstery shop and had at it. For a seat base we used a slab of 3/4" plywood and added slab of foam to that. The result looks pretty good considering it was done by a couple of guys with no experience or aptitude for the job . . .

Everyone who rides in or drives my car comments that it is one rough riding T. It has been speculated that instead of Roadster springs I musta got a set of TT springs. Possibly so.

I wonder though if much of the rough ride might be coming from the lack of a spring seat base. I have since purchased a set of proper springs for the seat & backrest and have ideas of ripping the temporary upholstery out and building up the wood structure to hold the springs as they were originally.

The point is that the seat springs may be doing some of the job of absorbing the road shock. Depending on what you have left the job might be bigger than just sending it out to a shop. Some carpentry might be involved.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration