Where'd All The Grease Go?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Where'd All The Grease Go?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 03:05 pm:

Back in 2013 when the steering got a complete overhaul the steering gearbox was packed with grease:

Last weekend I removed the cover and found the grease was largely gone with only some balls of grease left:

The grease balls were still mobile and I repacked the gearbox with grease.

I did not expect to see the box like this. There was no leakage out of the case or at the bottom of the steering column on the engine side of the firewall. Where did it all go?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 03:18 pm:

Some probably went down the tube - I'd use a bit thicker grease myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 03:55 pm:

Hmmm,....seems like maybe the old water pump type grease might work well for that application. As I remember, water pump grease was always kind of thick, fibrous and felt kind of "waxy". I happen to have some among some of the stuff my Dad left from way back, maybe '50's or even '40's! I guess that's one of the things you probably won't find at NAPA or O'Reilly's and would have to "obtain" it from auctions, garage sales, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 04:01 pm:

Looks like you need to bend your quadrant up a little to make more effective contact with the spark rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 04:20 pm:

I was using Valvoline grease the same as used for everything else including wheel bearings. I just bought a new can of Valvoline grease that says it is synthetic. Do you think it will mix OK with the regular grease?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

Mark - I never thought I could bend the quadrant. Can this be done by hand or is some sort of tool needed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 07:13 pm:

Paul maybe your T is just hungry:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 07:33 pm:

This car does have mysterious appetites. I have had nuts & bolts go missing for example. Locktite & split pins are now my best friends . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 07:54 pm:

Actually, it's all still there, just pushed into all the nooks and crannies of the unit, spread thinner in and on the surfaces, and what's left over is in the balls of grease in the middle. It's doing its job very well, spreading and protecting from direct metal to metal contact! Put the cover back on and run it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 08:27 pm:

Well William, that's the best possible interpretation of the situation. There were no indications of trouble and nothing was loose or binding.

I added more grease and put it back together. After a test run (I do a lot of those) there were no weeps, seeps or leaks, just like before.

All seems well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore, on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 08:43 pm:

I agree with William. It was never "packed" full and only functioned like a blender to push it around and compact it into "balls" but looks very well lubricated. You can really pack it full by finger or a putty knife if you want too but this isn't a ring gear spinning and what you have will protect and last for decades. A hand full of your choice to completely fill it and push it in like packing a bearing and it won't ball it up again.

Well done on your first application and it all looks like a good assembly. The most important thing is that you took it apart and cleaned the tar out and put in good grease. I would pack in enough to fill all voids and forget about it for the rest of my life.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

Paul,

You can gently persuade the quadrant with a crescent wrench. The other way is to bend the rods but that would have been done when they were out of the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 10:29 pm:

is that pump grease too heavy for winter? did you use two wrench's Mark?one on each end? ive been thinking of a way to rise both on mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 02:32 am:

Bending quadrant? Nahh... I did that & all it did was wear grooves in the spark & throttle rod.
Wrap the rods in friction tape, it's easier to replace than worn rods.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration