Rivet Reformation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Rivet Reformation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 10:08 am:

I was told that I should reform the heads of the new rivets to the same size and profile as the originals. So this is what I did. The sink washer allowed the rivet to spin while I removed metal from the top. The diameter was made smaller by chucking the rivet in a drill press and using a flat file.

Then I put the rivets in the gear box casting and whacked them slightly with a brass hammer to set the angle. This will help me to determine more accurately the amount to cut off before final installation.

rivet

rivet forming

bent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 10:29 am:

Looks really good Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 10:41 am:

Yes, looks pretty much like the old ones after extracting them .. and in the column. Will install them tomorrow night with the help of a friend. Will be nice to get the steering back together even though the chances of driving it soon are pretty remote given the forecast. The steering is much improved and the only slop I feel is due to not tightening up the nut on the steering wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 11:22 am:

Mark, which nut is that? The one on the wheel or the one behind the wheel??
:-)
(I had to ask!!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 01:08 pm:

LOL: well, one has to be tight ... the other probably shouldn't be tight whilst driving. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, November 30, 2018 - 09:00 am:

I made this shallow bucking bar last night for inserting the reformed rivets. I'll clamp in into my bench vice and lay the column on top of it.

bucker

bucker detail

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, November 30, 2018 - 09:43 am:

Way to go Mark! Aren't you glad that you did it! You didn't really have to bend that rivet. It would have conformed to the correct angle when you started bucking it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, November 30, 2018 - 03:02 pm:

Though you would be pleased. Yeah, I know it would conform on the first whack. The only reason I did it was to accurately cut the length of the rivet so that forming the new head would be effective.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, November 30, 2018 - 03:17 pm:

Mark, how did you form the concave cup on the end of your punch? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, November 30, 2018 - 03:40 pm:

I used a Dremel tool with a small cylinder grinding wheel. Made a slight depression in the center to begin. Then I took very shallow cuts while slowly turning the rod with my other hand.

Once the concave area was relatively even I sanded the outer part of the rod with my stationary belt sander. Then I used some wet and dry sandpaper to smooth it both outside and inside. For the inside I placed some of the abrasive paper against the concave surface and pushed against it with a spare rivet while turning.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration