Plug tester question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Plug tester question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 04:41 pm:

In getting it ready to use I think all I'll need to do is clean the windows, put on a new mirror, and install a working pressure gauge. My question involves the clip on the side of the body. I assume the original power cord had no ground wire and the clip was for attaching one.

The modern power cord has a ground wire that's hanging loose. I assume I can attach it at the nut where the bolt holding the clip also holds the transformer base. Being electrically challenged, I thought I'd better ask and be sure I have it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 05:21 pm:

Any place on the outside of the box, or connects to it, would be a good place for a safety ground. Basically you are providing a "shock path" for any stray current that might energize the outside of the tester (sheet metal box). Just give it a place to go with that ground in the cord.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

make sure you have a functioning, testable pressure valve and install a shield on the window!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 06:48 pm:

Ive never seen one of those. Could someone explain how it operates

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 07:14 pm:

It allows you to see how a plug performs under pressure - simulating compression in a cylinder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 07:23 pm:

Just attach that green wire to the metal case. Then make sure you use a grounded outlet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 06:05 am:

I really miss that Champion that got lost in time.
Real nice unit also it sand blasted plugs. It had many adaptors for any thread size. I remember most plugs took a dump around a hundred pounds looking in the mirrors. My guess it was around 1935 when my father built the new shop still in business today...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 07:15 am:

Could perhaps the fact that the spark plugs are using the same metal as the now attached electrical house plug wire cause a problem? Guess you'll find out. Just saying that it may have been left off/disconnected for a reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 07:52 am:

You may have to replace the glass seals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 09:11 am:

Hi Steve, I restored one a number of years ago and its in regular use in our workshop. Do not recall that clip on mine but I did replace the transformer and earth the chassis, more details via my blog https://1925modeltford.wordpress.com/2015/12/08/champion-spark-plug-tester/

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration