Ford Battery Horn: source for rivets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ford Battery Horn: source for rivets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 05:46 pm:

I bought a very nice Ford battery horn yesterday. It works very well, but it's filthy.I took it apart to clean and repaint it. Does anybody know of a source where I can get rivets to reassemble it?

Thank you,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

Lesson here is to sort that out BEFORE you pull it apart !
Got a lathe ? you might have to make them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio in TN on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 06:35 pm:

Stephen,

You may want to reach out to the Big Flats Rivet Company located in Big Flats, NY (607) 562-3501 or
www.bigflatsrivet.com

Best of luck,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 06:41 pm:

Stephen, source some flat head nails of the appropriate gauge to fill the hole, shape the heads using a pedestal drill and file, cut to length and you are good to go.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 07:27 pm:

I agree, it would have been best to find rivets before taking the horn apart, however the mounting bracket was already loose so I would have had to find or make rivets anyway. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to see what I can come up with.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 08:19 pm:

Stephen,
Were the rivets iron or aluminum? If aluminum, aircraft rivets would work. For that matter, you could choose to use aluminum as they are easier to work with and would certainly do the job. Drop by an aircraft maintenance operation at a smaller airport near you and they'd probably rivet it back together for you.

Just curious, what is the diameter of the holes you need a rivet for? I have quite a selection of rivets left over from my aircraft building project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 09:14 pm:

Tim, the rivets were steel semi tubular. I found some on McMaster Carr.com. They're a little too long, but I'll cut them down.

Thank you,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 11:45 pm:

Tim, I used aluminium rivets when I installed the hinges in my speedster hood. The do set easily. I wonder whether they would be up to he task of holding the horn to the mounting bracket, given the vibration going on in that application. I have no other experience with them or knowledge of varying grades of alloy rivets.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration