Getting Humbled, but I am Younger than Most..,

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Getting Humbled, but I am Younger than Most..,
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 09:54 pm:

I have had a lot a "New" to our Model T community and not a "New by". These folks are asking all the right questions whether it is a speedster to an original. I get a little "Humbled" so to say in assisting a person asking for trusted advice. (We) as the old wise ones must embrace with open thoughts as these are our future people to walk in the same foot prints as we of the great giants before us.

Some of these folks have sent me a text stating, "Sorry for bothering you" If I can't be bug or bothered, I need a new hobby. Mentoring is an honor and the greatest reward by itself.

Get Involved, Be a Mentor, Get Humbled.

All the Best Again,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 09:57 pm:

Amen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

I think I am older than most, but I'm happy to blather about what little I know. Ask away. Maybe I'll have an answer, perhaps even a correct one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 10:44 pm:

An idea we all need to be reminded of occasionally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 10:54 pm:

As a newbie I can tell you that the willingness of others to help...to answer the same questions for the umpteenth time, is what makes this hobby great!

Thank you all. I will do my best to follow your example and "pass it on."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 11:06 pm:

AND, you get to meet new friends and get exposed to different ways of looking at problems when you help out a 'newbie'.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 11:11 pm:

I know more than most newbies...enough to get in trouble !!
I will never say that I know it all, and am happy to be corrected and schooled.
But I really am not a newbie, more of a second generation, prodigal son !
Most people are happy to share the knowledge they have acquired from years of experience, as am I.
We all must help when we can, to keep the love for these historic machines alive for the future.
So many times, I wish I could ask the old man about something, I guess here is as close as it gets...

I kinda thought, Model Ts were a fading memory, with few still interested in them. But I now believe that is a falsehood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Stevenson in Santa Rosa CA on Monday, December 03, 2018 - 11:58 pm:

Well stated Hank. Try racing Porscheís and trying to get info from other club members, and even though I was president of the club, nobody shared information because you might beat them in the next race with that information.

One of the things Iím enjoying most about you old-timers and this hobby is that not only do you guys have the knowledge, but for the most part, youíre willing to share it without reservation. Sometimes even to a fault.

Trust me when I say this is a new and different experience from where I come from. And extremely welcome. One of the greatest joys I have as a newbie to this hobby is reading these forums at 3am when I canít sleep and learning from others. Granted, some of the opinions stated are totally full of Shi... but most are thoughtful and measured and come with just the right number of caveats... there are often many ways to approach various problems and hearing so many opinions is a good way to really learn this craft, save some time and frustration, and really enjoy these cars.

All that said, yíall really need to figure out how to get Paypal so I can buy more stuff. Writing checks in my house comes with too many questions Iíd rather not answer or account for. PayPal is easy and free for transactions we all do.

Btw, Hank, the walnut steering wheel I just got from you is great! Fits great, looks great, feels great. Thanks for trusting that at some point, Iíd actually be able to get a check in the mail.

Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Como on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 07:09 am:

Without people like the ones on this forum, this hobby would die.
As a newbie, I would like to say thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 07:28 am:

Eloquently stated Hank.

This newbie offers his sincere thanks to all the knowledgeable folks who've helped get his thoroughly worn out touring car this far along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max Lindsay on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 07:37 am:

As another newbie, many thanks. As someone stated above, I'm a 'prodigal son' and adoptive Father to my dad's '15 touring. I refer to it as my older little brother (sometimes "you old hag!", but that's another story for many other occasions). About the only thing I knew how to do with his T was to crank it (not start it... just crank it) and polish brass. Not even drive it.

Before my dad passed, he could remember some things, but his memory was fading fast. Having the ability to bounce off thoughts to you folks has been a great help. Between reading the forum and talking to folks in the Colonial Virginia Chapter that we just started, I've gotten a lot of great insight on how to do things. Mitch's videos on YouTube certainly have been a monster help as well.

Again, many thanks for the patience that you all have shown in my few postings of the past and for any future postings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 08:05 am:

Concerning Jeff's comment about NOT sharing information because you might lose the next race.

First: Sharing information makes us ALL better. If all competitors are on the same level, then the competition is going to make each one a better racer.

Second: This hobby is NOT a competition. It's supposed to be a joy. We should make it the best we can for all trying to enjoy this hobby.

Third: I take the point of view, that if I help someone and they can enjoy the thrill of victory, even if it is over me, the I WIN as well, due to the fact that I helped in the victory. Teachers, of all types, and parents, pass on information with the hope the student will be the best they can be. Hopefully, even better than the teacher or parent.

It's our turn to pass on the information. It's time I pay back what has been given to me by so many generous people both on and off this forum. I just hope I can do my predecessors justice. I hope I can make them as proud of me as the pride I have in the ones I have taught.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 11:23 am:

Tim, answering for the umpteenth time is the reason for some of my web pages. When I get to umpteenth plus one, I make a new page. :-)

Dave, wishing you could ask the old man applies to more than Model T's. My dad was born before the Wright brothers' first flight. He remembered the first car in his little town, and the first time a plane flew over. His grandpa, a Civil War vet, took him to see Taft campaigning. I should have asked what the car was, and so many other questions that will never be answered.

Terry's third comment makes me think of Jack Benny, who wanted the other folks on his show to get big laughs. He knew that made him look good too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration