MATCO front drive magneto coupling suggestions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: MATCO front drive magneto coupling suggestions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 06:35 pm:

Looking for suggestions on an easily adjustable magneto coupling for a MATCO front drive and Bosch DU4 magneto. In the pictures I've seen it appears to be a rubber "hose" between the two. Not sure what is keeping the hose tight and what fitting is on the magneto. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 07:16 pm:

Joe

I absolutely have no experience with this and am sure someone will chime in who does, but I am wondering if a Lovejoy coupling would fit?

https://www.lovejoy-inc.com/products/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 07:27 pm:

Scott gets the ten dollar hat! That is the perfect connection Joe. Love joys can take quite a load as well. They come in so many sizes. Have used them with excellent results.

All the Best,

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 08:03 pm:

Ideally a mag drive connection needs to be a constant velocity joint like an Oldham coupling. If the shaft alignment is perfect then a Lovejoy coupling could be used but be aware of the limitations. Restoration Supply sells a modern copy of the old BOSCH adjustable coupling, but its kinda pricey. http://restorationstuff.com/featured10.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 08:30 pm:

Trying to avoid having to have a taper machined in either the Oldham or Love Joy coupling allowing it to mate to the tapered nose of the Bosch magneto (if that's even a possibility). The shaft on the MATCO side would be an easy fix. What I would really like to find is something similar to the original coupler. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

Joe I used a Bosch timing plate and a home made oldham coupling.Works great and allows for fine tuneing of the mag timing.cheers pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 09:12 pm:

Pete I'm guessing that I have half of the Bosch timing plate (lower left hand corner)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 09:17 pm:

Yes that is correct.pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

While on the topic, any idea when Eisemann cross drives became Matco?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 09:44 pm:

The original hose coupling is basically a fiber reinforced 1” ID rubber hose. A 1/4” thru bolt on one side to anchor it, and a large bronze hose clamp on the other. Worked good on my ol’ roadster. I had made all new shaft and coupling parts, as my system was worn and incomplete

The coupling from Restoration Supply is a nice piece, but the center hubs are not finish machined.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 09:59 pm:

Dan

that is a really first rate looking product. Had never seen that before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 11:43 pm:

K.I.S.S. the original setup is shown in your first picture. The right side is a bush8ng with the female mag taper on the ID and a 1” OD, with a straight knurl surface. You would use a piece of stiff hose, 1”ID and 1 3/8” OD. The left side connects up to the Matco shaft, you drill a hole through the hose, use the two metal half rings, and a small mach8ne screw to clamp them together. Once you set the timing, you clamp the brass ring in place and the compression keeps it in place. Also , allows for fine tuning. I think i have an extra knurled bushing, if you go this route. We did one with the couplings mentioned in the posts above , and this is a lot easier, IMHO. This setup was complete on about the 6th front plate I purchased. Note the matco name on the brass ring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 08:03 am:

Yes, thanks Tim for coming through. I was looking for a "simple" solution and the original setup appeared to fit the bill. I'd be happy to take the extra knurled bushing off your hands and perhaps borrow the brass clamp, generate a DXF file and find someone to water jet cut some extra's. Thanks everyone for your help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 10:56 am:

You got it !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration