OT- Ford's Not so better idea

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT- Ford's Not so better idea
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 12:56 pm:

Another Triton 5.4 falling apart...
I won't begin to explain all the issues with these engines.
Keep your oil clean, if you have one !!
This one appears to have head gaskets at one time and one cam phaser sprocket, but not the other.
Left bank timing chain guide was broken and chain was sawing through the oil pump.
I was able to "cheat" the oil pump pickup tube bolts, without dropping the pan ! And replaced the pump.
I normally pass on these, and recommend a reman engine.
But, helping out a friend and I had most of the parts from another one that the customer balked on...
I got the chains on and timed.
I'll try to put some more pics on, if anyone wants.
I also don't normally pull the intake, but it has a bad manifold tuning valve and it's in the back...PIA !!
I've been putting this off for too long, it's hard to tie up the lift for 3-4 days, when the work keeps coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Jackson II on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 01:27 pm:

Dave, How many miles were on this engine? No doubt from your description it has problems. Also sounds like it was neglected and not maintained. Just a friendly observation. I could go on about two of my Chevy Suburbans bought new and routinely serviced AND had major engine problems from either design, poor manufacturing/assembly, etc. I was told to not use a GM oil filter.....that would stop the engine from knocking on startup. Got rid of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver - Arthurdale, WV on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 01:44 pm:

We got rid of our 5.4 before it had a chance to give out. The Cam Phaser setup in these engines were about junk along with the earlier Sparkplugs. It was louder than our 6.0 Diesel in our F250. I'm not certain what Ford was thinking. You're a better man than me Charlie Brown:-) - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 02:02 pm:

John, 158,000, and it had been apart before...
It was an auction vehicle.

I've done a few, just a lot of bolts !! It's easy compared to the 4.0L V6. One of it's chains is in the back, R&R engine, for those and $500 worth of special tools...

Matt, the new plug setup is NOT better. Instead of blowing out, now they break off in the head when you try to get them out !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 02:22 pm:

I have it's cousin, 6.8L V10 in my truck. At 88K so far no troubles. I change the oil at 5K as recommended, should I change at 3K instead?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 02:58 pm:

Philip, I would just recommend synthetic, 5K is ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 03:03 pm:

I kinda miss my 2002 F150 with 5.4 I bought it at 200k and a dead tranny to use as a work truck for 2 years. Installed new tranny, spark plugs and coils and sold it at 225k miles two years later as planned.
Repair shops see the problems, but they don't see the vehicles that don't have problems.
Philip the V10 has a very good reputation for reliability and long life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 03:05 pm:

It's mostly 04 and up...with variable valve timing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 03:15 pm:

How similar is it to the 4.6L

I bought an F150 (with the 4.6) that my daughter uses to drive to school. I've had trouble with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

Matthew, I would watch out for that 6.0 diesel also. The 6.2 is good, I've had costumers say that the dealers won't even take there 6.0 in trade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 03:43 pm:

Dave, have you been into a 1.5 Ecoboost yet? I was not delighted with the engineering choices. It seems like Big Three toss out the entire rule book every ten years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

Thanks guys, I am keeping my old 1979 with a 351 Windsor and 1976 with a 390. I have never seen a better Idea since about 1984.

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth,

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 04:49 pm:

As a professional auto repairman, I was raised in a Ford family. Always Ford. Loved them. In 1976 I bought a Buick Skylark 2 dr. Liked it. In '78 I bought a 2 door Electra, 350, Turbo 400. God what a great car!Never looked back. I've got 1,200,000 miles on numerous GM vehicles since. Haven't been in the first engine or tranny. Quaker State 10W30 Dino oil every 3000 miles. Works great. On my 2012 Terrain 4 cylinder I use Dexos spec oil, 90,000 miles. No issues whatsoever. I work with a guy with an Expedition, the V8 went belly up with no warning. 6 months with new engine, it's clattering now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 05:17 pm:

My best was a '76 Olds 350. It wore out two cars. I sold it at 323,000 miles still running great. I never had the oil pan off. I did replace the timing chain and gears at 212,000 miles as preventative maintenance. I had the left valve cover off to investigate and replace two sludged-up rocker arms. It ran better at 300,000 miles then it dis at 200,000 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

This is one of the 5W20 oil engines, lots of tiny passages that you don't want sludged up.

Chains on, timed, tensioners set....

Covers on, ready to install intake manifold, here's the conglomeration and the tuning valve.
Should have it running tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 06:52 pm:

I have a '98 F-150 with the 4.2L V6 and that engine has been awesome. She's over 335k and still runs like a champ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 07:35 am:

Oh my looks like a airplane engine, but no thanks
Imagine flying with that timing bike chain. My better idea is my only wheels with my 46 59AB Super Deluxe more power than a politician, excellent gas mileage, rides like a Lincoln and I can actually
see 8 spark plugs. And yes even at my age, same as
the car I still like to smoke them rice burners,
these have mean second gears. Remembering my youngest son I say lets go at it big shot. Him 1997
F350 with a 460 I smoked him by the first telephone
pole he looked like a model toy in the mirror...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver - Arthurdale, WV on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 08:27 am:

I will say my Uncle's 2002 F250 with the 5.4 has been a great motor, of course it doesn't have the funky cam phasers and the spark plugs are relatively easy to change. Only have had problems with it blowing a couple of plugs out.

As for my 6.0, It's a great truck and makes great power. It's had the head studs installed, EGR and Cat Delete done to it, bigger turbo, etc. It's going on 260K miles and I expect the body to give out before the drive train due to the rust issues here in WV. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 08:36 am:

I had it running last evening, just have to install the "Shaker" air cleaner. Started right up, no happy lights on and quieted up in a couple seconds after she got oil pressure ! Whew !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 10:15 am:

wow,I just hope my new to me 04 dodge with the 5.7 hemi holds up for a few years.so far a year with it and I have been happy.
I was looking at trucks last year and the spark plug stories had me looking at gm and dodge and even older toyodas instead of ford. If a spark plug is a pain to get out,what would that mean for the rest of it?!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:23 am:

I purchased a 2011 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost in 2013. It had been rear ended and totaled, then purchased and repaired by the owner before me. It thus had no warranty. It's been a great truck regarding gas mileage(18mpg @72mph, 20 @ 65, 22@55), and HP and torque similar to my 6.2 gas F150, but factory flaws not covered due to no warranty have eliminated my gas savings. The crowning one was a too small timing chain and tensioner that needed replacement at 110K miles for $3000. Every penny I've saved on gas has gone to repairs. Oh, since it's a direct injection engine, the raw PVC gases hit the hot intake valve stems and adjoining orifice and build up to narrow and choke the intake. Ford's fix at 100, 000 miles and out of warranty "replace the heads". There's an industry building in the larger cities to cob blast them clean without removal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 02:35 pm:

As I understand it, it's the 5.4s with the three valve setup that were/are having all the trouble. Mine's a 2-valve; I bought an Arkansas truck with an engine ruined by the former owner. Replaced it with a reman unit; have never had trouble.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration