TT brake link orientation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: TT brake link orientation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 07:39 pm:

When installing the links for the brake shoes to the cam for the TT, is the orientation important, as in preferred way? Or does it matter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 09:01 pm:

Mark, if I understand the question, I think they are all the same and it does not matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

I'm pretty sure Tim is correct. That's how I remember it too. I also looked in the parts book. There is no right and left, it's the same part on both sides, so it shouldn't matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 10:48 pm:

That is not what I am asking, I need to know the orientation of the links mounted to the cam. The cam has a left and right side, the links are mounted to the holes that are on ether side of center. When the links are mounted to the cam it would looks somewhat like a Z on its side. I know the links are all the same, no left right front back except maybe the Ford stamp might be on the outside just because.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 03:24 pm:

Hi Mark,
does this help?
(Front is to the left)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 03:24 pm:

Home made axle oil seal carriers too :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 07:44 pm:

Thanks Adrian. This is why I have the question;

I ask be cause one way may have more mechanical force then the other. Or it just does not matter. As the arm is not riveted to the shaft like on the cars, it can be adjusted to the orientation of the cam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 08:04 pm:

I may be missing something here Mark, but here goes anyhow:

If I remember correctly the lever on the back side of the cam is up and attached to the brake rod above the pivot point. When the brake lever is pulled the rod is pulled forward. So, with the arrangement shown in the upper photo, pulling the lever would expand (apply) the brake shoes. With the arrangement shown in the lower photo pulling the lever would contract (not apply) the brake shoes.

Of course you could attach the lever in the down position, in which case the above description would be reversed. However, IMHO, although the braking is equal either way you would not want the lever down because the brake rod would then not be in the proper position to go through the guide fastened to the radius rod.

Have I missed something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 08:27 pm:

Ah-ha very good point about pulling the rod and lever! I might have figured that one out, but am working in close quarters so might have missed that (at first anyway). THANK YOU!!
RE Have I missed something? No but this one is, the guides. LOL :-)
Sometimes you gets too close to a job and it's easy to over think or over look the obvious sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

am guessing you want the top picture setup if rod is pulling cam arm forward. I need to pull a wheel and play a bit to describe optimizing the adjustment. it is a parking brake and most likely less even loading than modern drum operation. I will try to dig something up from service manuals if they exist. wish I could be more helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

a little slow, sorry for repeat thought. you've got it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

No problem Tim. :-)
RE Service manuals; I think anything that might have been in the Service Bulletin Essentials was purged when reprinted and the black/green Service Manual, don't think it ever did have anything on TT specifically. (?)
If you really want to mess things up, look at Cut No 22 in the 1920 Ford Manual, the shaft for the cam is at the bottom of the backing plate, 90 degs from the perch not at 45 degs to the front. This is the same illustration used in V Pages repair book of about the same vintage. When and if that version was ever used or if it ever was used, who knows. (someone might)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 04:31 pm:

Glad you sorted it, sorry I did not explain the 'pull factor' with the picture ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 12:51 am:

By the way that should have been 180 and 90 degs.

Thanks Adrian.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration