OT-- Dec.7

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT-- Dec.7
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 09:21 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 09:23 am:

Take a minute to remember

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 09:30 am:

Thank you Dale, Pearl Harbor Day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 09:43 am:

America all came together then...wish we could now, without such a tragedy.
Never forget !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenneth w delong on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 10:04 am:

With the inability of so many to see that history often repeats itself i think we have such a tragedy now! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon A. Clayton Sr. on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:13 am:

Many schools aren't even teaching United States History any longer. It's a sad situation. Ask
any high school age kid about Pearl Harbor or or
any fact about U.S. History and see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:48 am:

Earlier this year we visited Pearl Harbor. While there I purchased a U.S.S. Arizona shirt. Every time I wear it I am told, "Thank you for your service" repeatedly as I travel about town. Although I did serve in the USN, it was over 25 years later. The total lack of perspective is astonishing. There are only a handful of Arizona survivors still living and they are all in their 90's (I'm 70). In fact, I read that today is the first time none of the living survivors will attend the memorial ceremony at Pearl. The few who remain are not physically up to it.

Another important part of our history quietly comes to a close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:31 pm:

Those who do not remember history,Shall repeat it.
Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás
December 16, 1863 – September 26, 1952

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 01:31 pm:

One of the men in my church, when I was growing up was there when it happened. His name was PJ McMurtry. He was a great big guy with a smile and heart as big as Texas.

He saw some awful things that day and for years, wouldn't buy anything made in Japan.

One day in 1986 when I was a senior in high school, Mr. McMurtry pulled up in our driveway in a brand-new Honda Accord. My dad was gobsmacked and asked him about it. Mr. McMurtry's reply was, "Well dammit Jim, this is one of the best cars made right now, and there comes a time when you just have to let things go."

He was a close friend of my grandfathers. He LOVED high school football with a passion and would come to all of my games and even practices to cheer me on.

The last day I ever saw him was at church, the day before I left for the military. He gave me a hug and said he wished he was coming with me. Oh how I miss him, my grandfather and the other men from that generation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 02:10 pm:

In my time (58 yrs) I have met 3 memorable WWII veterans. The first was my grandfather, the next is a survivor of the USS Indianapolis and the third was one of General Patton's staff (he was my sister-in-law's grandfather). I am deeply indebted to all of those that have or are serving. I greatly appreciate the freedoms that I have and I say a hearty THANKYOU!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 02:40 pm:

My sister's birthday is today. I always tease her about it being "a day that will live in infamy".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 02:54 pm:

And yet today Japanese products almost dominate the United States. They were unable to defeat us in open warfare so now they are defeating us from the inside and we are gladly allowing it to happen. I have never owned a Jap car and I never will. Where the parts come from in my Dodge is beyond my control as I'm sure some of it came from somewhere over seas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 11:55 am:

On that Sunday, my father was driving his 1938 Packard up Snelling Ave. in St. Paul, MN. In the afternoon he turned on the car radio and we heard that the Japaness Navy and Air Force had attacked Pearl Harbor. I was 9 years old at that time. I had two uncles in the Army during WWII. One was stationed in Washington DC and created maps for the army and other. He mapped out the beaches for D Day. The other fought his way from Africa to Germany. I am a army vet (later on)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

We had a farm neighbor across the road that was being transferred from officers training school to the South Pacific in December 1941.
On the six he landed in Honalulu for a layover until the next day, the 7th. We knew that, so everyone talked about the fact that Claud would be there during the bombing. That’s how I remember that day even though I was only four years and ten months old.
I have hauled quite a few Pearl Harbor Survivors in my T and ‘29 Nash in 4th of July and Veterans Day parades in San Jose and RedWood City, Ca. I have heard some unbelievable
stories from some of those guys.
One told of swimming almost all the way around his ship to get out from under burning fuel on top of the water. He said they were against another ship and that he had been a very good swimmer, or like several others he wouldn’t have made it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 12:35 pm:

Should be Honolulu.
And Claud made it through the war, came home in good shape at the end of the war. We had become close friends with him.
We had moved15 miles away but after he got married n had two kids he rented a farm two miles from us. As a teenager I did some work for him.
Claud died one evening of a heart attack at 37 years old.
I will never forget the military funeral, gun salute and all. A very sad day.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration