Ford Model T or Model T Ford?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ford Model T or Model T Ford?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Here's an easy question for a Friday:

When you are in normal conversation with others about a Model T, do you refer to it as a "Ford Model T" or a "Model T Ford"?

I wonder if Ford was consistent in their literature/documentation from that time one way or the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:51 am:

Being ambiverbose, I use both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:56 am:

I think Model T Ford is most usual. Suggested this to our British Author friend but the book came out using Ford model T, instead. Both CORRECT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:57 am:

East Tennessee or LA (Lower Alabama): T Model

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:58 am:

M grandpa always said "T Model"...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Simmering, Afton, TN on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:59 am:

Most of what I hear is" T Model "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:03 pm:

Could be a region thing, Model T Ford seem to roll off the mouth for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

T Model Ford....North Texas, Southern Oklahoma.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:07 pm:

Actually, "T Model" really isn't quite right. It's more like "Tay Mauldel". Said slowly and with affection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

My Papaw, who's been gone since 1974, used to say "T Model" and "A Model".

I catch myself saying it that way too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

I have always said Model T Ford and my dad did also.
I think grandpa (his in law) saying T Model frustrated him !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:20 pm:

Whenever I look up parts, the clerk always asks for Year, Make, and Model in that order. So, I say 1926 Ford Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

You get some English people saying T Type - think they're getting confused with MGs!

Personally Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

Confuse 'em all... Say "TT"!

"Happy T-ing!"
Just fix it (right) and make it work....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:44 pm:

I use "The T" but I am referring to my 1910, my first car and first T. When I owned 4 or five at one time, it was "The 27" or the "12" or the "Coupe". When I look back at my second car (a T) it was "The Center Door". Now it is also for my Model As, the "roadster" or "the pickup." For my modern drivers it is"The older one" or "The Ford".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 12:48 pm:

Probably doesn't matter. We always used to measure torque in "foot pounds", but now it's "pound feet"! Why? I dunno,.....?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 01:03 pm:

I just say Model T and everyone knows what I am talking about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 01:21 pm:

I had never heard one called a "Model T" until the time in my life that the forums came along. Until that time it was called a "T Model".

Same with a cotter key. I once got scolded by an out-of-stater for calling it a cotter key, and that the correct term is cotter PIN. FWIW, I later that day read that Henry called it a key also.

(Message edited by 6volt on December 07, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 01:22 pm:

Here, Model T Ford is usual but you often hear Ford T.
In Australia, T Model is used but probably not in all areas. Wayne in NZ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Logansport Indiana on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 01:22 pm:

Easy answer, this is the "Model T Ford Forum" and the Model T Ford Club so for me it is always Model T Ford. Other makes also had a Model T in the line up so Ford needs to be part of it. I have also seen others called a T type as late as 1987 when GM built the Buick Grand National and T Type models. In 1917 Indiana Truck Co. had a 1 ton Model T along with a 3 ton Model R so Ford was not the only one to use those letters.

Model T Ford works for me but Ford Model T is OK too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

Ford Fusion Ford F 150 Ford Focus

Ford Model T

But I say Model T Ford or T model when I want to annoy my wife

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 01:52 pm:

The folks I grew up with and around and called
it a " T Model".
My Father always called the 24 Coupe my grandfather gave me years and years ago Papas old Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 01:56 pm:

Just "Model T".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 02:14 pm:

My wife'a grandmother lived to 102 years old.
I once talked to her about her first car. It was in the early 1920s... She said it was a Ford. Simple ad that.
If you look at the old literature, you'll notice it was referred to as a Ford. Model T wasn't widely used until the Model A came out.
Just my observation :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 02:18 pm:

Never thought about it till now. It got me to thinking. Other cars I've owned were referred as

Chevrolet Monte Carlo
AMC Javelin

But it's always been Model T Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

As usual we can blame our beloved first editor as he called it “Model T Ford” though he allowed those in the south east to call it T Model.
RIP Bruce, I know you would blame the Post Office :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 03:58 pm:

Maine says "Model Ts are wicked fun"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 04:16 pm:

Here in the old north state, NC they call it a "T Model". Me being from the north, call it a "Model T Ford".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

Pop occasionally called it a Rolls Canardly...
Rolls down one hill and canardly get up the next !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 04:25 pm:

If I say I own a 1917 Ford runabout, there is actually no need to include "Model T".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 04:45 pm:

It depends on whether you're an expert or an amateur. -A pilot will never say "plane;" he says "airplane." -Amateur spectators will often ask me, "Is that a Model T Ford?" -Heck, they once asked me whether the radiator was solid gold or just gold-plated. -Another asked me if my car was a Rolls-Royce. -They don't know a whole lot about brass cars, but bless their hearts for at least being interested.

To genuine, pure-blooded car guys, it's the same as any other major classic: First the year, then the brand, then the model, then the body style. -For example, this here is a 1911 Ford Model T Torpedo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Danmark on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

In danish it is Ford T. Succeeded by Ford A, Ford B, Ford V8, Ford Y, Ford C (the latter 2 being "Henrys cars for Europe".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 06:29 pm:

Here in North Carolina its T Model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 07:55 pm:

Well...not all go by brand first, Model J Duesenberg, L-29 Cord, Vee 12 Packard all come to mind, as does simply calling a car by its model name only, such as a Mustang, a Super Bee or Camaro. For my part I call mine "the 13," a car that is a 13 Touring, but oddly my 26 Touring is simply called "the Touring."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 08:22 pm:

I just tell people it's a 1912 Ford. That satisfies most people. But some will reply by asking, "Does that make it a Model T ?" Then the conversation begins. But for many, just the year and make seem to be adequate.

Calvin Coolidge approach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

"Ambiverbose"? Steve J, did you make that up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

Making up words is injunktifyable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 09:20 pm:

When I was building mine my grandpa used to always talk about getting “modelber rims.” I never could get what he was talking about, my dad either, but I’ve since thought that he probably meant demountable rims. I’m sure he hadn’t thought about them in years. As for the car, most people around here say T Model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 10:54 pm:

For some time now I have been trying to imagine a "normal conversation" about Model Ts.
Is there such a thing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:19 pm:

When people ask, I tell them it's a Ford. They seem shocked and disappointed that it could be the same as a third of the cars in the parking lot instead of being some rare exotic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:34 pm:

Model t, as per the next generation. At least that's how my son refers to one (age 4)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 12:06 am:

I knew of more than one old timer who could not say "Model T" without putting the word "damn" in front of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long Western Australia on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 12:10 am:

At home I usually say I’m going to take
A/ “The Ute” or B/ “ Sloopy” for a drive.
Both are Model T Ford’s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 12:22 am:

My elderly next door neighbors Willie and Lois White, who were both born in 1913 and grew up with Model T’s and are both now deceased, always referred to my 1926 coupe as a “T Model”. I never asked them why and wish I had asked, but l assume that is the way everyone back then referred to the Model T. If it had remained that way, we would all be discussing this on the TMFCA Forum. :-). Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 01:11 am:

When I registered my first T with personalised number plates, I tried for TM-1916 but that was taken, so second choice was MT-1916 so unbeknown at the time that I actually got it right with the second one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 02:08 am:

we own several Model T Fords!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum, NL on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 06:16 am:

In Holland it's just "T Ford" with most people, pronounced like [Tayford].

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 07:19 am:

I have always called my Model T a T MODEL !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 09:14 am:

Somehow "Ford Model T Club of America" Just doesn't sound right . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 10:02 am:

Remember, many car companies made model T's, even Chevrolet! Of course, today, nobody knows that! So, let's just stick with what we are comfortable with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 11:45 am:

I guess I didn’t think about “T Model” when I posted the question, but glad the Southerners corrected me. I definitely hear that term around the fields of Hershey every year.

It’s been fun reading through all the responses. I’m going to tally it all up at the end of the year and post the results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

I was setting at the restaurant for breakfast this morning and someone asked me about my T Model. Seems a lot of people around here call them by that name. I catch myself doing the same sometime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art McTevia on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 01:42 pm:

I always get asked is that a model T or an A.And they never say Ford.It seems every one knows it's a Ford even young people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 01:48 pm:

Oh the truth is I use Model T Ford or Ford Model T, when talking to people that are unfamiliar with them. With ones that are it's "The Model T" or "The Model A". :-) But never "The T Model" or "The A Model". It's a regional thing to say "T/A Model" I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 06:32 pm:

My answer to anyone asking is "Ford T".
If that doesn't drop the penny then I add the word "Model" into it....which then seems to make it clear to the general public.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 07:08 pm:

If you are going to tally up? Put me under the "ambiverbose" column. I may have felt the need to needle Steve J a bit, but I like that word! (Whether new or not.)
Besides, I do use most the various words in most the common orders. Model T, T model with or without Ford (first last or sometimes even middle), I use them all.

Fun thread! Thank you to all. (Especially Steve J)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

In Sweden it's like in Holland: T-Ford, though the pronunciation would be a little different :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 08:01 pm:

Perhaps we should count how many people googled the word “ambiverbose”...+1...(grin)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art McTevia on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

Maybe if you look at my profile you will see way they never ask if it is a Ford.I didn't think of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 09:20 pm:

It's Just "1913 Model T" or "24 Model TT One Tonner".

People with Mustangs or Corvettes don't bother to tell you they have a "Ford' or a "Chev" (swear word), They are proud enough just to say "a 66 Mustang" or "a 58 Corvette".
That is all that is needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

I grew up in the Los Angeles area so this might have been a local thing, but in the 1950's many called them "T bone". Or just shortened it to "bone". I also heard my father and grandfather call them "T Model".
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Cibolo, Texas on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 10:42 pm:

I've heard people use both terms. The T model seems to be used by older people and Model T by younger people.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration