A little bit Miffed !

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: A little bit Miffed !
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 09:59 pm:

Is it something to do with "T" people or a general lack of decency ?
A Long standing member listed some parts in the classified section. I sent him a PM saying I was interested and "please email me" to arrange.

It has been 4+ days and I have heard nothing. Not even a "sorry gone to someone else".

MTFCA site sent me a copy of my message {so it went thru}.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

Iíve always had issues with my PM system. My email that my pms are connected too doesnít work real well and it locks me out all the time. Hope it wasnít me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

My sense is that you might give it a little more time. Many people expect that others are waiting by the computer to answer immediately. My experience has been that not everyone is on the super highway of cyber space. Many are on a side road. For instance, I have a difficult time answering face book messaging with my phone. Have to wait until I get to my computer at work. On the other hand I answer my emails all through the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 10:18 pm:

Sometimes it takes a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 10:31 pm:

Sorry, just because you received your copy of the message, doesn't mean the person you are contacting actually got their copy. I have heard of a lot of people here that have trouble receiving PMs. Troubles vary from different email accounts, different internet providers, different computers and programs used.
Me? I get quite a few PMs, and have not been made aware of any in recent years that I did not get. But that doesn't mean it hasn't happened recently either. I do know for a fact I did not receive a few several years ago. WAIT A MINUTE! I just remembered. There was one, a new fellow on this site said he sent me a couple about a year ago, that I never got. We did later make contact and as far as I know all is okay now, but he was a little upset by it all (and I don't blame him for that!). So there actually was one recent one I do know of.
It does happen. I do sometimes find them in my spam folder. That is the main reason I do not have my spam automatically delete itself. A lot of people, and some providers and/or programs do that automatically and don't even give the person a chance to check it out first. I check my spam folder almost every night. Why that one didn't show up, and where it may have gone? I don't know.

When responding to items in the classified section, many people post a "PM sent" (or similar) message added to the public thread. That at least establishes an attempt to contact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 10:50 pm:

Brass TT

Did you post on the thread that the parts were listed on letting the Seller know you sent them a PM ?

As stated above - the PM may have never been received.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 11:02 pm:

ď a little bit miffed ? ď. Several days ago I posted some Hyatt bearings for sale. These were mostly from brother Dave Hanlonís fatherís stuff. I posted an incorrect email. I screwed up. If anyone has ever looked at the stuff Iíve offered here in past years , I DONíT DO PMs. Ok, afterwards I received 2 downright nasty emails and 1 pretty snarky one commenting on my mistake. Iíve had a good followup exchange with mr snarky , and all is OK there, I think.
My point is this. Itís a lot of work to find this stuff, offer it up, pack it,ship it,yadayada. I get inquiries all the time, and unless I miss one ( (happens, Iím sure ) I wait for the first responder to decline until I get with the next one. I will not sell something out from somebody who is trying to decide. as Iíd rather have a friend than a sale! I always try to then tell the next people that the item is gone. This all takes a lot of work, and I hope I havenít missed someone. Life is too short to get all twisted up over old car Junque. This is the first time I have ever received downright nasty emails from people. EVER . I sure hope I donít make further mistakes ! ( warning, Iím certain I will ! )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 12:22 am:

I list stuff from time to time. Sometimes I get one or two e-mails. But sometimes I get dozens of e-mails in just a few minutes. and it can get overwhelming. I always try to answer all of them and let them know where they are in line. My phone number is also listed, so I also get calls from time to time. Phone calls, e-mails, or PM messages, in my opinion all carry the same weight. Its "first come" "first served". I have also had people e-mail me wanting to buy my item. I send them a e-mail to their good e-mail address not a PM address. And I never hear back from them, When that happens it really messes up things. I usually try to e-mail a couple times, and then move on to the next person in line. But that all takes time, effort, and a chance to screw something up. Remember, "being miffed" can be on either side of the fence. And do not forget, we are getting older. The guy that has you "miffed" may be sick, something in his life that is more important than a few model T parts, has came up or ????. Im with Tim, and what he said. It is a lot of work to find, clean up, research, photograph, package, list, deal with the sale, and finally ship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 03:04 am:

Yes, I did post that I had sent vendor a PM.
I am STILL getting Asian and Polish Hooker type emails as a result of putting my email address in a posting here years ago.

Is privacy, not the point of sending PMs -Private Messages ?

I have bought bits from him before, just like I have from Donnie too, via emails.
I am NOT interested in "social media", faceplant etc and we all know what a croc twitter is.

(Message edited by Brass TT on December 09, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 07:47 am:

I go days without checking my personal email. Granted, I'm not trying to sell anything, so not really EXPECTING any particular emails, but still.... I suspect there are others out there that, like me, are not married to their phones, and don't feel the need that others feel to be in constant contact with the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 08:00 am:

I love this forum but the PM system associated with it is nearly unusable.

That having been said, I know a lot of the forum members here are my dad's age (80) and older and view the internet as a somewhat necessary nuisance. So...I give them lots of time to respond. And, if they have a phone number, I use that method to have a "real" conversation with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 09:52 am:

A short time ago, I responded to a couple classified ads with PMs. I posted to the ad that I had sent a PM. Did not get any response. Kept checking the ad to see if maybe I was not the first in line. To my disappointment, the seller relisted the items saying the buyer had not sent payment. Kind of hard to send payment when you don't have an address or total amount to send.

Turns out the seller had been hitting the "reply" button on the PM email he had received. NOTE: The "reply" button does NOT work on PM emails. That's why there are several methods listed in the PM email on how to contact the PM sender.

A PM email is NOT a regular email since it goes through MTFCA. If you try to "reply", your reply goes to NOWHERE. The PM sender does not get your "reply".

Been there, Done that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 10:26 am:

Most, not all PM I have received from this site have gone my spam file. Make sure you check that too when buying or selling. As a rule if I do send a PM I will post that I did so on the ad so the seller knows I tried to respond. As in Tim M's case, he would not have known I tried to e-mail him otherwise until he caught his mistake in his listing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 10:35 am:

Brass TT, why donít you just say who you are waiting to hear from , instead of impugning everyone? Iíve been on this site for at least a dozen years , have ALWAYS used just my email for contact, and Iíve never had hooker types seeking me out. Perhaps you are visiting other sites that cause that. And, while Iím at it, what exactly is a Brass TT ? Iím not aware that Henry ever made one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 10:49 am:

"Perhaps you are visiting other sites that cause that".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 11:50 am:

It isn't necessarily visits to other infected websites. I had my email account "hijacked" a couple of months ago and from there the "hijacker" back tracked somehow and got into my bank accounts. What a headache.

I now have additional email accounts and only select people have my "somewhat" secure account contact info. I also don't open unsolicited email.

Also, I haven't had any issues with using the PM system used by MTFCA members.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, December 10, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

I can sympathize. Iíve sent regular emails to 2 well known wood crafters. Havenít heard boo from either one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 10, 2018 - 09:14 pm:

William if you are talking about who I think you are talking about, the first one (FW) is VERY VERY slow and the second one, are you sure you have the current email address? They were sold a couple of years back. http://www.classicwoodproductsllc.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

As a seller and BUYER on the forum i always had PM
Issues.
We do get used to the faster pace the web offers and do forget not all here are on everyday

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

My favorite is the non paying ones. ďI want it, the checks in the mailĒ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

Wait just a bit longer but not much.
Some people have a different since of time than you or I do.
Some are prompt and others not so much.
When going through the PM way always ask for a contact number. If they won't give you one to start with your own your own in my way of thinking.
I learned it works out better to have a number after using EBay or any other way.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration