Holiday Motor Excursion 2018

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Holiday Motor Excursion 2018
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 02:15 pm:

It's time to start getting ready for the annual Holiday Motor Excursion put on by the Southern California HCCA.

HMEWeb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 03:03 pm:

Someday.

Oh well, I still am looking forward to videos and lots of photos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 03:59 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jir_-vkH6ok

Here's a short video from last year's Excursion. Enjoy :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 08:55 pm:

I'll be there this year if the weather holds and I don't get sick at the last minute like last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

The upcoming Horseless Carriage Gazette will have a short article about the very first HME, started by their parents back when the authors were just little kids along for the ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 01:47 pm:

I'll see you There!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 03:56 pm:

Will the "Little Old Lady" be there?

Sorry - I couldn't help myself! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 03:23 am:

I'll be driving my "Little Old '12 Torpedo" I won't say anything about any other ladies I'll be by myself. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 08:49 am:

Just seeing those two faces is Christmas to me. I remember a 2-cyl Buick owner cranking his car with no luck. One of them asked "Would you like me to have my brother start it for you?"
Two of the most delightful fellows.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 11:01 am:

Peter Eastwood, the son of Doug who is heading up the meet advised me to park my truck and trailer down in Pasadena on a big wide residential street, and drive my car to the meet about a mile away. There is not going to be much room for trailers there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 12:43 pm:

Larry,

Why not just drive your T and leave your trailer home? You know it's not That Cold here in SoCal or you just want some more snooze time?

This year's location looks pretty small compared to the Race Track!!

See you there

Hope everyone noticed the location change! I didn't..
Thanks Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 02:56 pm:

Where is this "parking" at? I'll be trailering from Simi Valley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 10:15 am:

I'm going to park my truck and trailer down on San Pasqual Street, which is a big wide residential street about a mile away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 03:22 pm:

What about the Pasadena DMV parking lot? Should be plenty of parking as its closed on Sunday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

Ya, that way if your expired or nonexistent registration is due you can be first in line on Monday..... LOL Sorry

Does sound like a good idea. Has anyone checked the weather for rain?

Phil, make sure to say Hi. I don't think I've met you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 09:30 pm:

BTW.... Does anyone need a ride?

I have an open seat for someone.

How about one of you Out of Town guys???
The HME is something to have on your Bucket List.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 09:18 am:

Gene
Don't think that thought has not crossed my mind but our schedule before and after the HME doesn't allow for my attendance this year.
Thanks for the offer.
See you soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 11:03 am:

For those not familiar with the HME please go to our club website to learn more. I also keep the site up to date with the latest info for the event.

http://www.socalhcca.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 01:20 pm:

Kirk, Glad you saw that and I wondered if you considered working it into your plans.

Chris, Thanks for keeping the site current.

We'd like to hear about the change in venue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 03:49 pm:

The new location was found by one of our board members. Its a nice parking lot with room for about 300 tour participants. No room for trailer or spectator parking (modern cars) this year.

If you plan to trailer best to follow the advice that Larry was given and park south of our starting location. Then you will also be much closer to your trailer at the end of the tour.

Note the gates do not open before 7:30 am.

We will have parking reserved for tour participants, those driving a stock car/truck made before 1933.

If you are driving a more modern collector vehicle (newer than 1932) then you will be directed to another part of lot, separate from the tour participants.

Weather permitting we expect we will fill the parking lot to capacity. At 9:30am tour participants will be given route instructions and sent on their "merry" way.

Please check out our website to learn more about the history of the event. The Eastwood Family started something great that Peter and the rest of us are trying to honor.

In SoCal virtually every other weekend is for cars shows, this one is for touring!

Happy Holidays all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 04:24 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 09:18 pm:

Is there a Walmart or large shopping center nearby where the trailers can park?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Eastwood on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 09:59 pm:

Target , at Colorado Blvd. & Kinneloa, in Pasadena

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 09:57 am:

I have added this year's registration form to our website so you can fill it out before arriving at the Holiday Motor Excursion.

http://www.socalhcca.com/holiday-motor-excursion/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 12:54 pm:

Looking forward to seeing old and new friends at this great institution. Now to decide what car to bring and make sure it runs!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 01:36 pm:

It's been Heavy Thick FOG here at the Beach the last few mornings until late!

Not sure about driving the T in the fog when I like leaving at first light??? I'll decide on the 29th I guess when I get up if I'm going to get the trailer ready or not.

I still have an open seat and there's still time for somebody to make plans to attend! Just send me a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

Gene not sure how far inland that FOG has been going. There has been no sign of it up here near Pasadena.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 10:41 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5OKUjKs_Yc&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR08rJQ96R kS0OIcj0KanuBBHDzEBNw_u0X1Nd1j4G4hkhqCShrHby8b-_I

Here's a short video link to the "send off".

A big THANK YOU! to Peter Eastwood and the excellent team from the Southern California HCCA for another fine Holiday Motor Excursion yesterday. I'm still recovering from the fun:-)
Happy New Year

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 10:54 am:

Thanks Bill for that ray of sunshine.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

Today I went up to Pasadena to attend the Holiday Motor Excursion, in which about 200 pre 1932 cars run around Pasadena looking at many sites including some beautiful homes. I went with Greg and Cathy Rising in their 1926 T Touring. We meet many folks from previous tours, even a couple from my home town of Ramona!

Driving these high engines cars and heavy clutches around the streets of Pasadena must have been exhausting

Greg and Cathy by their beautifully restored 1926 Touring.

A group of Ts drive up from Long Beach

A rather nice Town Car at the home of the dessert stop.

Great day. Thanks SCHCCA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 12:24 pm:

We are seen exiting the start at about 4 minutes into Bills video. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 12:46 pm:

A perfect day for the excursion.
Topping off before the run.

Perrier?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 02:36 pm:

I made it with my 1911 touring. Had a great time until the route sheet blew out of my hands. I found out it's hard to drive and read directions. Next year I'll bring a co-driver. After the lunch stop I decided it was in my best interest to head home. The best part is my 107 year old car ran flawless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 02:49 pm:

Was a great day and a lot of fun. I drove my Torpedo up the 405/605/210 freeways and despite forgetting my gloves I made an easy run with light traffic. My Garmin said I averaged about 53 MPH. I got there just before 8 and the parking lot was very crowded with lots and lots of modern cars trying to get in the rather small parking lot.

Several cars from the Long Beach, Orange County, San Diego and other clubs were there. From the parking lot on the tour I logged 68 miles with a moving average of 23mph for just over 3 hours of driving time.

A BIG Thanks!! to Peter and all the guys who helped to celebrate a super tradition

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 10:43 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Ota8KLyxo

Here's another link to a video of the cars coming in...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 10:22 am:

Outstanding.
Something for everyone.
Thanks so much.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 01:34 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQhj7Ww75eQ

And another link to a nice video of the event...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 03:32 pm:

PS:
That’s not me topping off the radiator, but one with much greater celebrity...
Best regards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 04:30 pm:

Then that must be Perrier water he is filling it with! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 04:35 pm:

Bill, I think some of those T drivers need to drive more. Seemed a little rusty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 04:35 pm:

Just guessing, but is that "Handlebar" Ed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 04:40 pm:

I didn't see Ed & Karen this year...
It was me :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 05:49 pm:

Thanks for taking us there Bill. Regards to all my T friends for a great 2019.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 09:23 am:

Larry I just saw your 1913 T Runabout...….in the youtube video Bill posted...………...nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 04:17 pm:

It was another great Holiday Motor Excursion filled with old friends and lots of great cars-some of which haven't been out before or have not been seen in years. Thanks to the SoCal HCCA, Peter Eastwood and the rest of the folks that continue this important tradition. Happy New Year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 04:57 pm:

What did Jay leno Drive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 12:36 pm:

Jay Leno drove a Rolls Royce this year. You can see him drive in at the 21:12 mark in the video posted by Bill Harris just above.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration