Rear end free play question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Rear end free play question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 08:35 am:

I have been reading the "tearing into the rear end" thread with great interest. I am thinking about opening up my rear axle again this winter to see how my rebuild is fairing. But first, is there a spec for axle freeplay if one wheel is rotated while the other is held stationary? That is to say, if one rear wheel is lifted off the ground, how much back and forth rotation should there be when you twist it, as measured in degrees of rotation or actual travel at the tire tread? Also, if everything is new and the pinion is properly located, what would affect this freeplay? A shim behind the ring gear?

Trust me, I am not looking for a major project here, and if my rear is in spec I will leave it alone. It runs quietly and the Rux shifts well.

Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 08:40 am:

"It runs quietly and the Rux shifts well"

William - surely there is something else on a T to worry about, isn't there? I am apparently not as curious a person as you :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 08:54 am:

Simply put...A lot.
Turning with one wheel up, you have the tolerance of each component that moves showing up there.
E.g. Backlash, spider gear and Ruckstell components.
Even modern axles have a lot of play like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 06:33 pm:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration