Outside oil line tubing size.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Outside oil line tubing size.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Friday, December 14, 2018 - 01:34 pm:

I'm looking seriously at an outside oil line, the type that requires a hole in the hog's head for the pickup and a fitting that bolts to the side of the crank case.

What size copper tubing do these fittings use? 3/8? 1/2?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble - New Hamshire on Friday, December 14, 2018 - 03:02 pm:

I made my own, years before anyone was marketing them and used 1/2 inch soft copper tubing. 1/2 inch soft copper tubing is 1/2 inch outside diameter and about 3/8 inch inside diameter. I have it clamped to one of the oil pan bolts about mid way to stop any vibration, it has been trouble free and provides good piece of mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, December 14, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

Brad, I had a good chuckle with your post. Exactly which piece of your mind did oil line provide?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Friday, December 14, 2018 - 07:46 pm:

Thanks Brad.........right now I'm trying to decide between the hog's head oiler or a Ford Faithful. Either would to the job, but the Faithful provides a "filter" of sorts.

Since I posted, I discovered that the hog's head oiler is NOT particularly good on level ground....overloads the front of the pan with too much oil, or so the manufacturer says.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Friday, December 14, 2018 - 08:14 pm:

I used 1/4 thin wall stainless. The id is about
.240 and that is bigger than the hole in the fitting that goes in the mag post.philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Friday, December 14, 2018 - 08:39 pm:

I used 1/4 thin wall stainless. The id is about
.240 and that is bigger than the hole in the fitting that goes in the mag post.philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 14, 2018 - 11:48 pm:

George is talking about the type of oiler that gets mounted to the hogs head not the mag post.
I had questions about the amount of oil that was getting pumped to the front and wondered it if was overloading leading to more smoke then I had in the past after putting one on. I have yet to address the issue. One suggestion was to feed it in between #1 and #2 cylinders via a fitting in the upper crankcase instead of into the pan in front of #1. Right now I am using 3/8 ID tube so my other option would be to reduce the feed pipe diameter.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration