Totally OT: Dating vintage light fixtures?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Totally OT: Dating vintage light fixtures?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 01:57 pm:

At an auction last month I bought a pair of these for my living room. I'm guessing thirties, but I wouldn't even call my guess educated. I wonder if somebody more knowledgeable about these things can confirm or correct that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 02:38 pm:

The only light fixture I might consider dating would be the leg lamp in Christmas Story, lol. What would my friends say when I showed up to a party with my date the leg lamp?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 02:49 pm:

The one mounted on the corner may be 1830's but the others are much later Steve. Be prepared, oil ready to go if that new electricity thing dont work out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 03:09 pm:

Late 1920s, they were sold by a variety of places, including sears. Here’s some similar ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 03:18 pm:

That is a nice one. I would certainly consider dating it.
Seriously, I have always liked the lamps of the '10s and '20s. Artwork for your walls and ceilings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 03:40 pm:

In this part of the country those kerosene lights sometimes go to work during thunderstorm season. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 04:29 pm:

I always stuck with dating women...but not since I've been married, never dated a light fixture. A strong possibility that I may have worn a lampshade for a hat !! LMAO

Seriously, I have a couple similar fixtures on the bedroom ceilings and this one in the hallway. The bedroom ones were replaced and misplaced, but were oval with 2 bulbs.
This house was built in 1940.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 05:31 pm:

Steve, if I remember correctly, he porcelain lights were commonly used in a bathroom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 05:44 pm:

We deal and repair vintage lighting. The illustrated fixture is for a hall way. The bathroom porcelain fixtures were plain and usually took a vertical glass shade. The one illustrated did not take a shade of any kind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 01:20 am:

Not even a light fixture would date me...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 09:42 pm:

My house was built in the twenties. It has two matching fixtures in the bedrooms that hang from VERY short chains, and have glass shades with blue flowers around the bottoms. Two shades on each fixture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 10:03 pm:

This light hearted post brightened my day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

I love them Steve.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration