Driving Plate Shaft Plug

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Driving Plate Shaft Plug
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

Newbie question alert!

Does anyone have a photo or diagram showing the installation of a T-3324-B, Driving Plate Shaft Plug? Is this something that my engine rebuilder would have installed when he re-did the transmission?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 11:17 pm:

He should have if this was not his first rodeo.

It's inserted through the square drive end...the inside of the lip is schmeared with RTV. The plug is tumbled/flopped into place from the back/bushing end of the plate and driven in like a freeze plug.

Mike Bender has a great video in which this is done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tLpCghRMMw

Mike and his cohorts deserve a considerable amount of credit and gratitude from us for such informative, thorough, and professional-looking videos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 11:38 pm:

Thanks Scott! The video was just what I was looking for. Once and awhile I come across these things and go "Huh?" Just adding to my education on Model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 09:28 am:

According to the encyclopedia the disc wasn't added until 1915, then named T-775. I suppose it's possible to add the disc to early driving plates too? (haven't had any to look at)

In my 1920's driving plate it was rather a tight fit - the disk had to be flattened a little extra when I tried to install the pin for the clutch spring later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 01:31 pm:

Service Bulletin Oct 1924 shows how, and this bulletin noted that replacement drive plates from this date forward would be shipped to dealers with the oil plug already installed.

Prior shipments of the drive plate were shipped 'plug less' :-( and many mechanics didn't check for it or install one when replacing a drive plate, hence the Service Bulletin.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration