23 coupe question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 23 coupe question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 01:31 am:

Can a coupe owner tell me how high should the trunk lid open and what holds it up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 04:16 am:

Hi Frank.
The Turtle deck lid support bracket holds the lid open. Depending on model year.
16-25:
https://www.modeltford.com/item/9488X.aspx
26-27:
https://www.modeltford.com/item/9486SBC.aspx
Don't know the hight, because I have a 26 roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 04:45 am:

Thanks Rolf, good to know that I can buy that.
Reason for the question is with the lid fully open I'm only getting 13" opening, the hinges hit the panel at that point, normal or not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 02:27 pm:

Frank I have a 24 Coupe with the correct hinge as shown in Langs catalog.
The hinge is in its original location and the lid opening from the top edge of the lid to the top edge of the trunk opening is 19 1/4".

The 24 Coupe has a cowl vent wheras an early 23 does not. If your car doesn't have the cowl vent your car would be a low radiator car and the body may be a little different than the high radiator style. The deck lid height might be different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 02:30 pm:

Frank. I found some hinges on eBay just to see how they were made.
Looks like they open to nearly 85 degree angle. Just my guess.
Here is a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 03:17 pm:

Thanks for info, it does help, I'll need to investigate some more to see what's going on.
John it does have the cowl vent so 24 all though the engine number is 23 but possibly not original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 05:17 pm:

Frank one way to determine the lid height is to hold the lid up and hold the hinge in its full open position.
With the hinge in its full open position hold it until the hinge can be placed on the underside of the lid and on the side of the trunk wood.
Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 09:01 pm:

I rotated the hinges to put more in working position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 09:02 pm:

I think maybe the trim piece needs to be notched.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 20, 2018 - 10:22 am:

The trim pieces on my 24 Coupe aren't notched. The height of the lid opening is determined by the lid support bracket or hinge as I call it. I miscalled the lid support bracket a hinge in my earlier post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 20, 2018 - 11:52 am:

If I read this right, without the support in place he is only getting 13" when he opens the trunk lid. Sounds to me like the hinge is fouling on that trim piece that goes around the inside of the opening or something is not attached correctly. It would be a tough row to how if you needed to replace the battery with only 13" to work with. If you look at the hinges in the photo, the lid could travel to a much steeper angle then what is shown in above photos of it open. John, what does yours open to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, December 20, 2018 - 04:20 pm:

Right Mark.
I got under the hinge with a mirror and light, it seems that the trim is just a little to wide for the complete travel of the hinge, thick sheet metal, I don't know if that panel was replaced in the resto but I'm sure it didn't leave the factory like this.
Some one did a top job on restoring this T the only issue seems to be the lifting of the trunk lid.
It was imported some 8 years ago and left sitting, it was destined for a V8, not on my watch! now number 5 in my shed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 20, 2018 - 04:57 pm:

After taking a close look and comparison with my 24 trunk lid wood and the wood used in Frank's it seems that Frank's has non original style wood in it which is probably causing the opening issue.
Ford used a wood framework instead of the solid piece covering the inside that someone has put in it.
The wood framework is about 5/16" wider extending downward which allows the hinges to open wider and not binding into the sheet metal.
Another point is that the hinges should be mounted evenly along the bottom instead of what looks like about 3/8" up in the pic.
That for sure won't let the lid open further.

The wood kit for the 24-25 coupes consists of 6 pieces to make the framework for the lid. You might add a 5/16" shim thickness under the back of the lid to raise the lid upward. Then you can move the hinges downward and make them even along the bottom. Hope this can help.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration