Center steer setup info

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Center steer setup info
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shane Lach - Milford, NH on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 08:40 am:

Happy holidays gents. I am looking into center steering info and inspiration for a T project I am working on. I was wondering how people typically set up the pedals in the 20's and 30's with a center steering setup at their feet. Any info, photos, or inspiration would greatly help and be appreciated. I am trying to keep this as close to era correct as possible.

Thanks!
Shane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 12:04 pm:

I see that this is your first post. While there may be a work around, if you are using the T transmission and engine, you may be stuck with using an off set body building a one man racer (?) which is how I understand your question. If this is a "T" bucket question, this would be the wrong place to ask. I suggest posting a little more information on what your goals are with this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 12:15 pm:

Under his profile it is 72 posts,or am I missing something cheers pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 12:37 pm:

Could have been the "Intermediate 1 poster" rating I saw, sorry about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shane Lach - Milford, NH on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 12:49 pm:

The goal would be a late 20's era dirt track racer such as the Lloyd fisher fronty as an example. Sorry if I was too vague.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shane Lach - Milford, NH on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 12:51 pm:

It will have a T engine btw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 01:30 pm:

Here you can see the obvious easy way to do a center steer ;)

All you have to do is... put the motor in backwards, build a front wheel drive, add a supercharger and optional dual overhead cam, then there is plenty of room for the steering box and pedal push rods to operate the transmission!

See... you didn’t figure it would be that easy did ya? ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 01:52 pm:

I built a right angle drive with two miter gears. I can show you how I did it, when I can get to my computer this evening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

Shane,

Here is a sight that will help:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AICW0ECCNEVzXI0&id=9BF74A79988BEA%2119550& cid=009BF74A79988BEA

Also consider visiting some museums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Ogden on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 04:37 pm:

Shane, I am curious as to pedal set ups on single seaters. Check out Peter Eastwood’s single seat build over on the H.A.M.B. he has some good detail pics of his single seat center steer build.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Eastwood on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 04:42 pm:

Shane, go on H.A.M.B. & look at the thread " late 1920's sprint car" you will see a lot of pictures of my T Race car under construction, you will find them helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Ogden on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

Late 1920's Sprint Car, courtesy of Mr. Eastwood

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/late-1920s-sprint-car.864309/

Pedals are key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 05:45 pm:

Shane I got your PM, sorry for not responding back sooner. Not sure what all you've seen of the Model A conversion that I did so attached is a link to the H.A.M.B. with a complete article. I may have a coupler laying around and I may or may not have drawings or sketches of all the other parts I made or used, but it will have to wait until after the holidays. Thanks

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/model-a-ford-center-steering-box.322 491/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 05:58 pm:

The shaft was cut and gears added. The original shaft was plenty long enough to cut and use the cut off portion as the cross shaft.
My race car is a hi-bred having a 28 engine .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore, on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 06:02 pm:

This will not be a specific answer as I haven't done it but been told by a guy who did; The question is about the pedals, not the center steering...the steering should be easy.

What I was told is that you can take another hogs head (or 2?) and remove the internal cam's from the inside of the hogs head and shafts (probably the reverse). Replace the original's on the hogs head you are using and make longer pedal shafts. Now you can move your pedals from above the hogs head to below so you are pushing the pedals down towards the ground to work the bands. Of course the pedals would be turned on the shafts so they are orientated like in a modern car.

Again, I have not done this or looked closely into it but it does make sense to me. In a single seat car it would be difficult to work the pedals with your feet going up in the air! If this is possible it would probably not be hard to do and you wouldn't have to make a bunch of linkages or bend pedals down and I don't think that would work real well anyway.

I hope somebody smarter than me can explain this better and if it is actually possible!

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Friday, December 21, 2018 - 06:34 pm:

If it's a true sprint car it only has one pedal (no brake or reverse). Hard to see how I did it, but you can see the pedal is facing down rather than up. Tim you are completely correct it would be real difficult if not impossible for the pedal to be in it's stock position. Enjoy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration