Repair of the 14 T tiuring crank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Repair of the 14 T tiuring crank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 04:30 pm:

Some months ago the crankshaft on my 1914 T broke during a tour up to Julian. It has since been replaced with a new Scat crank and all the bearings rebabbitted by Antique Engines in Escondido. I tried the pan on a fixture and sure enough it was horribly bent. I’m not sure if the pan bent when the crank broke or the bent pan caused the break.
Anyhow it’s going together quite well, a little slower than usual but I’m trying to be very through and make it as correct as possible.

I am adding a rear support for the KC Warford that has been on the car for about a decade. Hopefully it will be running before the New Year.

I have many tours planned for 2019 :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 04:52 pm:

Sounds like a Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year ahead!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 09:16 pm:

Hi! Tony, I think you will like the scat crankshaft. I have one in my touring and it runs very smoothly, especially when I wind it up. Much less vibration. Concerning the crankcase, you might never know whether the bend came from the broken crank or the bend caused the crank to bend, but know this, the alignment of the 4th main is quite critical to the life of the crankshaft. Hopefully you will be able to straighten it before you install everything. I am looking forward to seeing you on many more tours this year. Happy holidays!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 10:19 pm:

Glad to hear you getting back in motion Tony!

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 10:40 pm:

Tony
Consider one of my “floating transmission shafts “. Available from Dan Hatch. It is no substitute for a straight pan, but it removes the stress from pan flex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 11:03 pm:

Hey Tony, here’s another possibility. The Warford without an additional support bent the pan, which broke the crank. Good idea adding the support. Just be sure to allow it to move. I’m sure you know that. Hope some of your tours correspond to some of mine. See you in Sierra Vista?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 12:56 pm:

The motor already had a “floating transmission shaft” but if my initial measurements were accurate, the pan was out of line by over 1/8”. The pan has been straightened on an original fixture, it took a lots of gas with heat being applied near the nose, at both side supports and around the drum area. Quite a mess.
My plans with the 14 Touring include tours to Sierra Vista,
Buellton and Billings. Hopefully we’ll make the AZ speedster run in late March with Ricky, the green speedster. Then the US F1 Grand Prix in Austin in October. Busy year :-)

(Message edited by Tonyb on December 23, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble - New Hamshire on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 04:23 pm:

Tony; When you put the engine in the pan and install the inspection cover, you may find that the crankshaft will bind-up when you try to hand crank it over. This is very common with a three dip pan. The number three crankshaft throw will hit the rear center cap screw that holds the inspection cover onto the pan. The fix is to remove the inspection cover and the rear horseshoe that that has the threaded holes and weld a threaded stud into the threaded hole for that rear center cap screw and grind a little from the horseshoe to provide some clearance.You should be very happy with that scat crankshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 09:41 pm:

If you have a four dip pan, they have a habit of doing that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble - New Hamshire on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 08:27 am:

The four dip pan does not have the interference problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 12:01 pm:

The SCAT crank rear counterbalance weight, hits the rear U shaped bar in the four dip engine pan. There is less than 0.1” clearance between the pan and the crank. I had to cut U shaped bar in half.
On the speedster with a three dip pan, the center screw in the U shaped bar also hits the Scat crank. As suggested above I cut the U shaped bar in half and weld a small headed bolt into the center hole.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration