Which carb would you run?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Which carb would you run?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 01:32 am:

Or at least try first, options are all updraft. Miller master, Winfield V, large zenith, or perhaps something else?

Light weight '27 speedster and the engine is as follows. A cam (high lift), Sherman head, pressurized mains, headers, distributor (mag removed). Stock rear end with an aluminum warford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 03:02 am:

One of the aluminum Zenith intakes and a Stromberg OE-1. I ran one, with stock head, 7-1/2 deg advance gear, coils, cam was about a 270 lift. Nellybell seemed to move faster then I wanted to go. (stock rear, AC brakes and no extra transmission, stock pistons)
Unless you are looking to keep the engine stock other wise, might go with larger intakes, in large the intake ports and a higher volume intake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

I am going to be running a larger intake. In regards to larger valves I will see what the engine looks like when I tear it down. When finished I expect something I can drive on the highway. The headers will make another 90 turn and go into a large pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 01:03 pm:

Need a big carb to make big power. I'd recommend a B sized Winfield or a Carter bb1. I had a model a carb on my speedster and changing to a bb1 made a huge difference. Remember that on endurance runs, the first donut tastes best.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 01:40 pm:

If you can't come in first come in dead last, they will remember you too! The ones in the middle not so much. :-) As long as I get a donut, I would be happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joss sanderson on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 02:01 pm:

Got to remember the results of flow tests showed smoothed surfaces made for a more laminar and faster/larger volume flow and the intake restriction was the valves not the manifold or carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 10:37 pm:

IMHO if you are not going to run period correct carbs just go ahead and put sequential port injection on it and quit worrying about carburetors. Period correct, the miller master is great but can be fussy. The Stromberg OE-2 is about as big as you can run on a T and still get it to idle. The Strombergs have the acellerating circuit which no other one does and is easy to dial in .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

Stan I am a little offended that you do not consider the Zenith pictured, a model V Winfield (predating the M, S and SR), and Miller Master period correct carbs. What do you base this opinion on? I have these 3 and was wondering which you would start playing with bearing in mind it is not a stock T engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 11:22 pm:

Chadwick you are the one that said "or perhaps something else". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 11:31 pm:

Is there something I said that implied I was thinking about running a non period carb? Probably the easy route would be to just drop an A carb on it. However, as I have these three and would like to use one and will probably try all three. I was wondering more which one of the 3 would you try playing with first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 07:36 am:

It was not directed at your carbs, I was making a general statement about carburetors for speedsters. I see people running Strombergs 97s, bb1's, etc.
I was offering free advice based on years of experience and conversations with speedster builders around the world.
This is why I seldom respond to anything on the forum.
Run whatever you want, I have no puppy to pet, no dog in anybody's fight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Cibolo, Texas on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 10:09 am:

Chadwick, I have an extra Stromberg OE-1 updraft carb , like the one that Mark Gregush mentioned above for sale. It was rebuilt by Stan Howe. I will sell it for what I paid him, at the time, to rebuild it which is hundreds less than his current price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, December 24, 2018 - 11:56 am:

My comment addressed what I felt would give best performance. I intend to keep my bb1 until I can dial in a pair of winfields. The problem with the bigger Winfield and Miller's is the best ones are on someone's shelf so they can say they have one.

Andy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration