Rebuilt my first coil with new ECCT.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Rebuilt my first coil with new ECCT.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Wright, Martin, Ohio on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 09:36 am:

Well I should say I rebuilt my first coil ever and used my new ECCT. Of coarse I have nothing to compare it too but so far pretty impressive little device. I checked all four of my coils in my T and every one fails the capacitor test and double sparking constantly. The previous owner told me he replaced those "gizzies" on the top of the coils. My guess is he just bolted some new ones on and it worked so that is as far as he went. The bad caps have pretty much trashed the point contacts so I will try and surface them back to usability but am ordering some new ones. I'm surprised the car runs as well as it does with the points all whopper-jawed as they are.It does have an occasional miss and maybe that will clear up with some properly adjusted points. I bought some coils off ebay and those are the ones I am playing with. Well back to digging out tar before the grand kids get here and want to help.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 10:57 am:

John

why not replace the caps and be done with it? If you think the car runs well now, with adjusted points and bad caps, you will think is a veritable rocket, when you finally replace the caps and you get arcing/firing timing fixed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 03:03 pm:

Judging from how he said he was digging out tar i'm guessing he is replacing the capacitors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 03:35 pm:

Kep

and I am guessing you're right. Somehow I missed that completely!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 03:50 pm:

Actually the caps are frequently the only part that need replacing and are most often ignored.

Perhaps, case of out of sight and out of mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 04:26 pm:

New capacitors won't cure double sparking, that's a function of cushion spring adjustment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 04:52 pm:

Cushion spring adjustment and vibrator adjustment will be dialed-in with the ECCT he has.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration