Car ID for when cars were big and men were small

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Car ID for when cars were big and men were small
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 10:08 pm:

What am I? And I mean the car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 10:13 pm:

Street Urchin and a Prototype Brown Shirt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

Image in my files of unknown origin but probably for an online library. No know copyright. May have an owner who would like a credit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 10:24 pm:

Sorry to stay On T there is a T Ford way up the back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 10:30 pm:

One side question for those who were alive when this was taken
What,s with the hands in the pockets I see in so many old pictures
Is it a tough man thing, are they feeling cocky ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 11:41 pm:

I'm guessing Winton. That's worth about what you paid for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 02:47 am:

Looks European to me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 07:49 am:

I don't know "who, what or when," however we may have solved "where."

"Next to Usher's Metropolitan Hotel."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 08:15 am:

Hi Rob Thanks for the wisdom of the cloud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 08:23 am:

Hi Rob I googled it and a picture on Pinrest prove you correct

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 08:28 am:

Pinterest not Pinrest

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 10:57 am:

A Darracq?

It seems odd that it would be such an early French car here rather than one built in The Empire, but there was at least on importer of Darracqs (along with many others) Canadian Cycle and Motor Co. Ltd. in Queensland, beginning in 1905.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/statelibraryqueensland/albums/72157695324485400/wi th/44583794791/

The link has lots of pictures of interesting early antipodean cars, truck/utes and motorbikes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 11:43 am:

???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 12:31 pm:

All those serious-looking people are thugs hired to protect Joel Phillips from people wanting to kill him for those usurious interest rates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 02:36 pm:

Ha ha, I thought they were standing in line to get a loan so they can buy a new Darracq. ?!? Gil is probably right !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 03:05 pm:

The little kid or street urchin as Hans S calls him looks to be underfed or malnourished. A real skinny kid however you look it. Paperboy maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 03:34 pm:

Has the look of a 1906 or 1907 Stevens Duryea 50 hp, though headlights seem mounted alittle bit higher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

Hello John K

Noun[edit]
street urchin (plural street urchins)
(Britain, obsolescent) A child who lives, or spends most of his or her time, in the streets; sometimes a petty thief or pickpocket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 09:25 pm:

Hi Dale W

Form what I have read in papers of the period

The rich purchased the best of the best that money could buy

While Australia had very strong links to the UK the European item was the most highly prized by the rich. The UK built cars were a step down the social ladder for a PRO UK population. "British was best" but European was better

American items were looked at as the product of the common man

The common man won the battle and the rich joined the common man

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

Hi Dale W Thanks ID confirmed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 11:18 pm:

Poor kid is selling newspapers with no shoes on! Tough times....

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 11:51 pm:

We are in his future . I wonder what was his life like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 07:13 pm:

Question: Is the brim of the bowler/derby hat a bit wide for England?
They were so darned conservative/uptight, the brims of their bowler's were narrow and upturned.
Maybe a fashion statement of Justin's.
I call him that since I work with my BIL's nephew of the same name but the guy in the pic never did any farm work and chores. Same stature and face tho in that Irishman. The modern day fellow is a little brick sXXX house!
Goll, this pic is interesting but I got nothin' on the car!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration