Ts and some scrap metal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ts and some scrap metal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 01:26 am:

State Library Of Victoria Australia

Copyright status:
This work is out of copyright
SLV Source ID:
SLV Accession:
H2016.167/158

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 01:28 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 01:31 am:

For those that like looking in scrap piles for something of value

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 01:36 am:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 02:25 am:

1st T looks factory bodied, can an Aussie out there take a guess at the coachbuilder of number 2?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 05:20 am:

Hi Jem

I am going to fly in the face all you have read on this forum or clean up the details a tiny bit

All my information is based on period articles not stories from decades later

The car is in the heart of the eastern part of the State of Victoria

They look like tourist but form where

I don't have full sets of registration numbers but off hand the highest number seen here is c1914 - 6 for Victoria

The Ford agent for the state is Tarrants based in Melbourne

Tarrants wholesale to dealers in Victoria and over borders a touch

There were by 1914 dozens of Coachbuilders

The majority were pretenders or commercial body makers

C1901 Melbourne motor Body Co made 90% of the local bodies and imported 60% of the bodies

Many made claims of this and that which were retracted when challenged .The above claim by Melbourne Motor Body Co was never challenged

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 05:32 am:

Averaged body output ( pre standardised bodies) by various interstate and local builders shows it took a staff of 100 ( All staff cleaners, typist etc ) to turn out 20 bodies per month. I would say this output comprised Cycle Cars to the richest man in towns new toy

No company in the country had a staff much larger (50% or greater) than 20 bodies per month output up to about 1918

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 05:41 am:

When the local car body (Colonial Body) above was built Tarrants was selling and wholesaling about 1000 Fords a year. The largest Coachbuilder in the state had an output of about 250 car per year

I am going to detour here for a moment

This is all of the top of my head and what I could find to demonstrate right now. Arguments of 5 hear and 10 there and a year hear and there are just nit picking This a quick no full facts to date (like Ford USA data) not a Doctorate writeup

TO be continued. Need a smoke a coffee and have something to attend to

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 06:00 am:

This needs to be inserted two steps up the snake

A diplomatic challenge to a Tarrant statement

T.B C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 06:46 am:

Prior to 1913 only a couple of Ts were Colonial Bodied in the state of Victoria, and essentially promotional vehicles . Ford were to price competitive to warrant the expense and delivery delay (about 3 months) of a Colonial Body. Ford body with Import and tax of about US$350 was less than or equal to a Colonial Body. If you did not build your own body and make a margin on it this was a lot of extra work and delayed delivery

Along comes the start of 1913 and the PRE embargo of Motor Bodies. 1918 saw a ban on imported bodies. 1913 was the conception date of the 1918 embargo

Taxes were increased in 1913 to make Colonial Bodies financially viable

I have skipped and will skip this and that .

Customers were going direct to the Coachbuilding firms for a saving in price

Melbourne Motor Body co were Contractors to Tarrants

Stephenson Motors Coach Co started making Ford Colonial Bodies. Either to take over what Melbourne Motor could not do or take over entirely

I have seen in person car designs submitted by both companies for Ford Bodies. Try as I might I cant get ownership of them and I am sworn to hold the identity of the owner to my grave. I have much more than my reputation at stake to think twice about even telling my mother

At least one Melbourne Coachbuilder was the supplier of the Colonial Windscreen (windshield)

T.B.C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 07:11 am:

At least one Ironmonger (hardware store) was retailing a version

Skipping this and that again

I have found nothing of the period to prove Tarrant's built a single Body Pre 1919. Many claims pre 1919 and prior to the birth of the T Model. All were retracted when challenged

Below a claim and a challenge The only one I have with a picture

A correction of the name of Stephensons coachbuilders I made earlier . The Correct name is Stevensons Brothers . Yes a memory issue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 07:12 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 07:43 am:

The Identity of the coachbuilder may never be known without a body plate on a surviving car or a period documented picture

I have a number pictured vehicles crediting Melbourne Motor Body Co & Stevenson Bros. . NEVER disputed (so far)

I have seen the drawings of some body designs and the firms responsible

Clients could go direct and did to either of the above coachbuilders or any other coachbuilder at the time

Features attributed to an individual company are pure speculation

A cowl vent seen on bodies attributed to Tarrants were not exclusive to Tarrants and seen on vehicles in other states

Fords sold in the state of Victoria are either retailed or wholesale by Tarrants as a complete car or Chassis (pre 1919)

I am prepared to be hung by what information you have that is period written /Pictured

As Tarrant claims have been disputed and retracted form the time of the birth of the company even period items are unproven . Till I found the retraction of the car above I was taking that car as fact

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 07:51 am:

A final note to repeat

I skipped this, that and the other thing

The above a quick and grossly undocumented bit of chit chat

Fell free to add your two cents ( thanks to rounding to the nearest 5 cents in Australia its now 5 cents or sadly Zero cents if literal ) and document or disprove what I said

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 07:59 am:

A correction for a date at the top

"C1901 Melbourne motor Body Co made 90% of the local bodies and imported 60% of the bodies "

It should read c1910 etc etc

I am human so probably some others

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration