OT Sharpstein Museum Auto related

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT Sharpstein Museum Auto related
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 05:39 pm:

Just got back from visiting the Sharpstein Museum in the town of Calistoga in the Napa Valley Ca. If you want to see a great exhibit on early motoring. No autos just neet stuff relating to our hobby. - this is a very worthwhile trip.sharpstein

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

Just a note I know how to spell Sharpsteen - MY computer doesn't
Austen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 02:16 am:

Ben Sharpsteen was one of the original founding members of HCCA, and he son Tom had quite a few Model Ts, including one that had mostly Dodge Brothers parts on it.
Ben was one of Disney's original cartoonists,was part of the Firehouse Five plus two, although some sources don't list him, but Tom claimed he was in the group. Tom himself played Clarinet, Albert system (There's a bit of trivia, not many use it nowadays.).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 03:31 am:

Enjoy;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkuM3Ee89jg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_system

Hum--Mom and Dad have a very old Clarinet in the attic. :-) Thanks for the lead as to what it might be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 11:19 am:

Ben did a few covers for the Gazette back in the fifties. I believe all of them are available at the museum in Calistoga.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 11:19 am:

I first met Ben while I was working at Harrah's Automobile collection. Some years later my wife, son and I were visiting Calistoga and Ben's Museum. He was there and we renewed our earlier acquaintance. Ben showed us around the museum. We came upon a show case where his "Oscar" was on display. My son asked what that was and Ben proceeded to tell us that he had won that Oscar working for Walt Disney. He then opened the case and took the Oscar out and handed it to my 10 yo son to hold. Ben then told my son how difficult it is to earn one let alone hold one.

Ben was a very low key guy charming and very down to earth. He was a man whose career started in the early days of Hollywood and especially Disney. One can only imagine the shoulders of the who's who he rubbed with over his career.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 01:27 pm:

Ben did quite a few covers for the Gazette. One thing he liked to do was to put a joke in his illustrations, so sometime when you're looking at one, check for the oddball thing going on somewhere in the drawing!
BCG, Yes, low key; his son was too, and I also was acquainted with his co-worker and instigator of the Firehouse 5+2, Ward Kimball, who was also very charming and low-key. I've been told by those who had family that knew him, that Walt Disney was also like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 04:34 pm:

I think that Ward Kimball used to do a comic page for the Gazette called Asinine Alley too. This would be back in the 50's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 12:36 am:

My favorite Kimball Asinine alley was at the time the Edsels were introduced. He had a drawing of a black model t with an old horse collar in front of the radiator to give the model t the "Edsel" look.That was nearly 50 years ago and I still smile just thinking of it.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 11:07 am:

Another funny Asinine Alley was it showed some astronauts landing on the moon, and there was a Model T brass radiator laying there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 01:25 pm:

Wouldn't it have been fun to be there with these guys when they got together. It was probably much the same as our local chapter meetings but look where it led to. I heard they would bring odd brass lamps to meetings to match up in pairs.
Just a bunch of funny old car guys.
Thanks for the steps into the past.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 05:39 pm:

The Kimball Moon picture is an interesting story - Ward told me somebody working at NASA saw the print in the magazine, and came to him and asked about the original painting - he gave the painting to NASA and they had it hanging in one of there L.A. area ofices.He said he was flattered and honored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 12:09 am:

Early days in the Seattle Tacoma HCCA meetings members would bring odd and single lights to the meetings, If 2 of the same lights showed up with different owners they flipped a coin and the winner got the other light.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration