1909 Coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1909 Coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 09:28 am:

According to the encyclopedia 47 Model T coupes were built for 1909. Just wondering if any of these cars exist...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 09:32 am:

There's one like that at an auction coming up.
It's in Kissimmee Fl.
Here's the link

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/model-t/2198663.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Duquette Grand Forks, ND on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 09:34 am:

There is one listed on the Hemmings site for an upcoming 2019 auction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 09:46 am:

The one Mecums will auction off in Fla.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 10:05 am:

Curious as to how the horn ended up on the right side

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 10:44 am:

From memory I recall only one or two original bodies exist the rest are reproductions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 10:46 am:

Wonder if it's the real thing. Hard to believe any exist because of such a low production number...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

Dale
The Auction Photos leave something to be desired

Do you have other GOOD ones like the 2 You posted that you can share with us (I Hope)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 12:49 pm:

The Jim Finney coupe in the upcoming auction is the real thing, (it's even a wide track) while some other early coupes seems to be reconstructions.
Here are other threads:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/918935.html?1543761967

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/171721.html?1290237957

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 02:41 pm:

Don,
I STOLE those photographs from Mecum's site!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 02:42 pm:

Roger
The 1909 Coupe at the Coming Auction is NOT the Finney Coupe (Which is the ONLY Real Coupe in Existence)This is the Coupe Built be Peter Douma who lived in St Catharines Ontario Canada

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 02:44 pm:

Dale
I found the other Better Photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

Tim's initial post illustration looks like a drawing, so may not be totally accurate if that is the case. However, there are significant variations in the body construction behind the door/turtledeck area in the one for auction. It is a pretty car, beautifully built, but perhaps not the real thing.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 06:52 pm:

No beveled glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 09:42 am:

I understand the rarity and the importance, but I canít be alone in thinking that is not an attractive car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 03:00 pm:

I would probably suffer from the high altitude if I drove it.
Iím with Tim on this one. No wonder not many were built.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 03:32 pm:

It reminds me of the many styles of man powered coaches of the 18th century.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 03:38 pm:

I was smitten by the illusive Coupe and thought of building a not so perfect copy of one. Time has eroded that idea and it would have been a shame to try. I do enjoy looking at them and thinking how wonderful they would be to sit in.
Ugly or not.
Rich

Again Thanks for sharing pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 10:13 pm:

I think they are neat looking but you would have to come to a near stop at every corner for fear of laying it on its side!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 11:13 pm:

When I look at this car, I really understand the term "horseless carriage". I would like to see what it would be like to drive this car on a 100 mile tour. It looks like it would be uncomfortable and scary, but it might just be the best thing ever. Maybe the center of gravity and weight distribution is just perfect and the car handles just as good as any other Model T. Or maybe it is completely out of balance and will tip over with the slightest cross breeze. Will someone please buy this car and DRIVE it?? Inquiring minds want to know....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 11:14 pm:

It would be a lot of fun to take on the Holiday Motor Excursion tomorrow. I wouldn't have to worry about loosing my hat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 11:14 pm:

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I HAVE A 09 OVERLAND COUPE AND A BODY FOR 08 WOODS, IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO SEE PICS LET ME KNOW. CHARLEY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 08:54 am:

all my pics are to big, i will take new ones today. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 12:23 pm:

here are the pics. the black woods came off a restored car. it is for sale if you have a woods to put it on.the 1909 overland mod 30 will never be for sale.it is the only one that survived. thanks for looking. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 12:31 pm:

missed one. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin klein on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 02:04 pm:

Not only no beveled glass but no pic of the valve side of the engine--b/c a later block? I would expect a shot of the open valve, engine #, etc to be included in what may well bee a very expensive purchase. The seat back also looks odd-- straight up and down like the driver's compartment in a towncar. No speedometer either. Doesn't smell right for an original car that's been redone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 02:10 pm:

You're killing me charley. Those pictures get my heart racing.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 02:53 pm:

Charlie
What are the Clips/Clamps up in the Ceiling for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 02:56 pm:

Charlie,
Forgot to ask Does the Rear Window go Up & Down?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

the clamps hold the windshield up when open,the rear window on the overland does. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

kevin! that motor is open valve. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

Greetings Everyone,

I am familiar with the car that had the body built by Peter Douma. That body was created using photos as a reference. The owner of that car also has a 1909 Town Car with a body built by the same man . I think that the Town Car was on the cover of the MTFCI magazine. I haven't seen him in about 8 years or so. He is a great guy and a huge supporter of the Model T community. I hope that he is doing well. I don't like to name names on here without permission.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins So Cal on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 04:53 pm:

Charlie , Sent you a pm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

Charley
You sent 2 photos showing Doors with Pockets
What is the Door off of with No Pockets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 06:18 pm:

thats the woods door. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 08:16 pm:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to a forum member I can confirm that this is the car that was built from a body produced by Peter Douma. I haven't seen the car in person since it was completed. The man who built the car is an amazingly talented man. The car was assembled from pieces and the attention to detail is spectacular. The car does have an open valve engine that was made from a later non-generator block. I believe that the front of the water jacket was reshaped and a serial number pad was added to the front of the block. As I remember the head is an original 09 head. The front axle and 1 piece spindles are authentic 09 vintage as are the rear axle housings. The transmission cover is a reproduction of the original style cover with the rectangular hole. The oil pan is a later pan that has been modified to look like an original one piece pan. The last time I saw the car was about 8 years ago. At that time the body was assembled, upholstered and painted. For some reason, I remember the car with cloth upholstery, I guess that my memory isn't as good as I thought. I think that at the beginning of this project that the Finney coupe body hadn't been discovered yet. The owner of the car has a large collection of Model T's including a 1909 Town Car recreation and a Stynosky award winning Touring car. He is a phenomenal guy that helped me greatly with my Model T. His shop was always available and a great place to hang out with some wonderful guys.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration