OT Is this a Scam or not?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT Is this a Scam or not?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 05:06 pm:

For the past couple of months I've been looking for a Hupmobile 20 to purchase. I found on in Missouri for $16,000.00, I made an offer of $14,500 and got this response. I'm pretty sure there is something fishy about this, Any comments?

"Hello,

I have attached a full set of pictures for you. Please check them. For a fast deal i can get $14,500.00.
I'm glad that you are still interested and maybe we can wrap a deal. The car belonged to my father which unfortunately passed away two months ago. Because I have a busy schedule and I am unavailable for the next months I have settled everything through a transport company. They offer escrow service so this transaction will go straight for our peace of mind. Now the car is sealed in Eugene, OR at a storage depot ready for delivery. The car will come with clear title, owner's manuals and two set of keys. For your satisfaction the company offer 7 days for inspection period from the moment you receive the car at your location. During this time you can check the car with your mechanic or do whatever you want ( of course without damaging the car ). If by any reason the vehicle doesn't pass your testing period the company will refund your money in 2-3 business days and the shipping back will be my concern but I am sure that you will love it from the first sight because is in same condition as in pictures. If you are a genuine buyer, I can deliver the car anywhere in the States with no extra cost for you.
If you want to move forward please contact me back so we can get the ball rolling. Don't let this beauty go away !!

Thank you,"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 05:09 pm:

SCAM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 05:11 pm:

Looks like a scam with the poor english. If he is on the up and up, he should give you a contact to allow you or your rep. to inspect the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 05:12 pm:

Total scam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

SCAM!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

Scam...scam.. scam...run away!

This info by Hemmings....read the Consumer Commandments!

https://www.hemmings.com/complaints/scam/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

Do not proceed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 05:43 pm:

Don't walk away from a deal like this. Run. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 05:54 pm:

Well I did some further checking and found that the website is owned by a company based in Nassau, the Bahamas.
Interesting too was the shipping company web site (the one based in the Bahamas) states that it is also located right here in Eugene.
If these guys would learn how to use correct English, they'd do a lot better. I suspect if a buyer was located in (insert city here) that the shipping company would also be located in that city!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 06:39 pm:

RUN FOREST, RUN!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 07:34 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

I happen to have a Hupp Model 20 too ... that I like very much but itíd not for sale. That said; I agree with all the above responses... especially the RUN, FORREST. RUN !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

Another owner of a Hupp 20. I agree. Run from this transaction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Logansport Indiana on Friday, December 28, 2018 - 11:00 pm:

We found a nice model T touring car about 40 miles from us on craigslist a couple of years ago and got the same reply to e-mails I sent asking the seller if we could come look at it. The price was low but you never can tell by a picture if it was too low but I told them if it is as nice as they say, I could drive it home. They still insisted I pay for the car and if I didn't like it when it was delivered to me I could return it at no cost to me. We later found the same car listed for sale and located in several states at the same time. I bet you could find this one listed all over the country. 100% scam.

(Message edited by Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks on December 28, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 03:38 pm:

Sounds like the same scam I posted about last month.
My customer in Oakland,,Ca area was buying an International pickup from Washington state.
It was to be shipped to Ca. For inspection for three days. Then the money already sent would be paid to the owner or the truck would be hauled back and the money returned to the buyer.
The company claimed the truck was being hauled to Oakland but was involved in an accident just north of Reno.
No such accident was ever recorded and the buyer is out $8,800.

The shipping company was called landfall. Was maybe out of Glascow, Scotland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Brandi on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 04:38 pm:

Signs of a SCAM.
Word usage seams a bit strange. (i can get $14,500.00.)
They will have someone else do the transaction. (I have a busy schedule and I am unavailable for the next months). An unusual claim (I can deliver the car anywhere in the States with no extra cost for you.) <--- Really true because no matter where you live it doesn't cost anything to ship nothing for $14,500

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

I agree, Frank. Any time I see something like "...my father which unfortunately passed away..." it screams non-native English speaker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 06:12 pm:

Yes. Indeed a scam. Tell him you would like to have someone inspect the car, prior to making the purchase. I'm sure he will be unavailable due to his "busy schedule" to allow you, or someone else, an opportunity to inspect the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 11:11 pm:

In the case I posted about they just would not let anyone go look at it.
Thatís when the guy should have known something was fishy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration