Delco Remy distributor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Delco Remy distributor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Allen on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 12:19 am:

I'm overhauling a 27 model T engine with a frontenac head, it has a Delco Remy model#635B serial#519297 distributor that looks rough.

what is the best distributor to use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Brandi on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 12:39 am:

One that you can still afford to get points, cap and condenser for. American Bosch 600 has centrifugal advance. Most any can be made electric for a price. American Bosch 600 Distributor
Don't forget that a conventional ignition coil requires 2.5 or more amps from your electrical system. All depends on what you buy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manuel Voyages, ACT Australia on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 01:03 am:

635B. Is that the Chev 4 dizzy?

Manuel in Oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Coyle on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 11:10 am:

You are correct Manuel, the Delco Remy 635B is the Chevy 4 Distributor. At least it is on my '28.
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 11:53 am:

https://www.fillingstation.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Allen on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 09:08 pm:

Thank you Frank, I will look into replacing it with a Bosch 600

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 01:32 am:

Just be sure which 600 you are getting, not all in the 600 series are the same. One model if fully centrifugal advance (I tried this one and did not like it) other is centrifugal with manual advance. If I was going to suggest a replacement I would go with one of the modern types that use the Bosch 009 types. Parts are easy to get. True it will still be manual control. The Bosch 600 type points, cap and rotor are not off the shelf items and because of wear, the points will not be up to snuff re inter cylinder firing. If I was going to use a Bosch 600 type I would go for the one with the manual advance and retard. Unless the arm was broke off, the ones with out a arm for the rod are full centrifugal and the ones with are both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 01:56 am:

A Frontenac head, Chevy distributor? Boy, that rocks! They are the best!

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 02:12 am:

There is one on Ebay now, the arm is broke off so I would say it is the combination type, both manual control with centrifugal assist at starting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 11:31 am:

This is the one one ebay I was talking about;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-Accessory-Bosch-Distributor/264104262906?_ trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3 D4028e610ac434ac7b7166c654e5aadb4%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D22330 5659195%26itm%3D264104262906&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

Is your a clip on that has that Delco head adapted or a front plate type? Delco did make a clip on distributor for the Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Brandi on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 10:30 pm:

Paul,
Henry Lee has several rebuilt distributors for sale in the Classified section Sure he can guide you to a good choice
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/926002.html?1546195917

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Brandi on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 12:32 pm:

I looked at the EBAY one. The bracket to connect the commutator pull rod is broken off. New gears are $$$Bosch 600 w broken bracket

Also these are "American Bosch" not to be confused with the BOSCH of Today(not the same parts). During WWI the US Government took over the manufacturing facilities of BOSCH here in the US. Hence the name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 12:44 pm:

Modifying a modern 009 with a dual advancement works great for me or going all out with a Mallory dual point with adjustable curve for ultra high performance.

To each their own so to say. I have also found keeping an extra VW condenser with a quick attachment for road breakdowns a plus no matter what type of distributor you are using.

Try to buy quality parts, even ones made in Brazil are very good. Stay away from my cousinís junk in China!

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 12:48 pm:

The seller sent me a photo of the hole you see in the above photo;

They should add it to the ad, but not my call. It has the gears and spacer with it. I would not call $52.95 plus shipping real expensive.
https://www.modeltford.com/item/BO1.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 01:18 pm:

Personally I do NOT recommend a centrifugal advance on a Model T Ford distributor. Model T brakes are always a concern as we note in all the treads about that subject. With a centrifugal advance you cannot get full spark retard to hold back when going down a hill. This puts even more reliance on the brakes.
A centrifugal advance may have been helpful for farmers in Kansas with their first car but anywhere with a hill it is a detriment.
Disable the centrifugal advance and use manual only! Safety first.
Oh Boy, am I going to get an earful from this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 01:30 pm:

Not from me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Allen on Friday, January 04, 2019 - 07:33 pm:

Now i'm not sure which way to go...should I just clean up my Delco Remy or replace it with a Bosch?
Its going to a speedster with a Frontenac head and a PACO body, want to make it run as strong as I can but be as correct as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Friday, January 04, 2019 - 07:57 pm:

Paul,

If the internal's are tight, good meshed points, and condenser on either should work just fine. Use a quality USA made coil with a ballast resistor.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration