Question about accessory differential braces

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Question about accessory differential braces
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 10:23 am:

I have access to a nice accessory differential brass or truss. It was removed from a wide track axle. I assume these may have been used to help support the early 6 rivet clamshell axles. What do you folks think about these braces and do they have a valid use? I know they would not be favored for show cars but might be good for drivers. Please share your thoughts. Thanks, Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

They do look good.

And many early T's had them. Have one photo of a pre-T alphabet car with a rear axle truss on it too.

Even the later axles, as some roads back then really weren't roads as we know them! :-)

This truss is on a Ruckstell!

And of course on the later T's, here is a '15
A big heavy bus, so extra help to the rear axle tubes is nice to have.

On my '19 chassis

The wide track version would be rare too, I sure would use it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 12:13 pm:

We have one on our '14 Touring - although not as flexible as earlier riveted housings, I figure it can't hurt !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 05:42 pm:

Note,

All the 1906-1908 Model N, R, S, & SR cars came from the factory with a truss rod under the rear axle. But the rear springs were located further from the rear wheels than the Model T.

See part number 63 from the 1907 Ford N, R, & S Price List of Parts.

For the 1909-1912 pressed steel rear axles -- I would recommend one.

If you are going serious "off-roading" I would recommend one.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 09:34 am:

Thanks Hap

That explains the brace on this one!

Haven't ever been close and personal with an alphabet Ford :-)

And you can add to the criteria for the application of accessory rear axle truss.......Racing Fords!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 10:40 am:

My '13 roadster came with one. I saw no need for it, so never re-installed it. The car doesn't seem to care either.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration