2019. Can hardly wait,

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 2019. Can hardly wait,
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

I am excited about 2019 because on July 28, 1919 the motor in my T was cast and two days later on July 30 it became a motor.
It is the original motor in the car, we have the first registration, and documentation up to today.

We will have a big party to celebrate itís birth 100 years ago.
Maybe have some cake, ice cream, and a drink or two.

I will have to wait until 2020 for itís 100 year old birthday and do it all over again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

Fred

Your T can get historical registration too, from the HCCA.

https://www.hcca.org/CenturyPlaques/getPlaque.html

And you can have a nice radiator badge to show off too from MTFCI.

https://model-t-ford-club-international.myshopify.com/products/centennial-automo bile-radiator-badge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 03:40 pm:

Can I do it in 2019 (it was built 100 years ago) or do I have to wait until it is really 100 years old?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 03:41 pm:

Fred,
I suspect you can party whenever you want to. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 03:43 pm:

Fred, it will be 100 years old 2019.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

I'm confused... If your car is a 1919 I would think it's centennial would be this coming year (2019). Am I missing something?

Then again, any excuse to party :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 05:49 pm:

In 2019 it would have been built 100 years ago.
It will not be 100 years old until 2020.

It takes one year to be 1 year old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 06:20 pm:

Ah, my calculator adds 1919 + 100 = 2019 :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

I don't get it. I was born January 23rd 1939. As of January 23rd 2019 I will have been alive 80 years. If I should see January 23rd 2039 I will have lived 100 years. Same thing applies to a model t. Since time is measured from a zero point , in 2019 I think your car will already have been in existence 100 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

I think a "drink or two" may have been shots of 10W30 and some 600W on the ice cream ?!?! lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 06:53 pm:

Maybe it was the leap year ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 07:48 pm:

Lenney. Your 100th bday will be 2040, not 2039.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 08:11 pm:

The engine (and lets just celebrate its birthday) was "born" in 1919 and it was not 1 year old until 1920. All during the time from 7/28/19 thru 7/27/20 it was APPROACHING its one year anniversary...so

The beginning of the 100 years will be July 28, 2019. The end of that 100th year will be on July 27, 2020....

so party away sometime after 7/28/19....and come to some of our meetings, please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 08:40 pm:

Yep.

On July 28 of 2019 it will have been here for a full 99 years and counting towards 100, but it will not be a full 100 years old until July 28 of 2020.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 08:45 pm:

At my age I will use any excuse to have a drink.
Even if it is Ensure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

Did someone say "PARTY"??????

"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 09:10 pm:

On July 28,2019 your motor will be a full 100 years old.

July 28,2020 it will be 101

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 09:18 pm:

But, if 1 by 1920 and to add 100 years to make it 100 to 2020 doesn't work, born 1919 and start by first birthday in 1920, you can only add 99 more years to be 100, then that makes it 2019 to be 100.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 02:07 am:

Boy, you guys have way too much time on your hands!
Every weekend is cause for a shot or two.....

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long Western Australia on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 05:18 am:

5 Hrs and 45 Minutes to go here in Western Australia !!
Just cooking a Aussie outside B B Q 😀
Happy New Year Guys.

Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 09:40 am:

If the engine were assembled on July 30, 1919, it will be 100 years old on July 30, 2019. But it probably didn't go into a car until a day or more later, which would have been the beginning of Ford's 1920 model year. So the car is a 1920 model, but it will be 100 years old in early August of 2019.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 10:05 am:

It is simple math. Take a hundred pennies and start counting using years. Your T was built in 1919 so the first penny is 1920 because it is one year old at that time. You only have 99 pennies left which will come out to 2019. To make this easier just do ten pennies and times it by ten. Happy New Year to all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 10:32 am:

But Dean,
when you take the penny, you are taking the whole enchilada...when you count years, there are 365 days (and untold millions of seconds), so to complete taking the whole year, you have to wait until the 365 (or 366 parts) are taken/passed/spent....and Fred wants to have his celebratory drink as soon as possible to commemorate the anniversary. Won't happen until all the "parts" have experienced the sunrise and sunset.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 10:36 am:

David, did you count the pennies? I am trying to get Fred to his party as soon as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 10:46 am:

Well, with Fred, "there are many ways to skin a cat", so I believe you have found a way to satisfy his thirst- in a few hours !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 11:45 am:

So....we all know that Ford Motor Company was founded during the week of June 12....until fully voted and established on June 16, 1903....marking its creation.

So did Ford Motor get the date wrong for its 100th 'birthday' celebration? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 12:07 pm:

Well, maybe....

When did someone celebrate their first birthday...the day that they were born...or the day that completed their first year outside their mother's womb?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 12:53 pm:

Most cultures (Korea a notable exception) celebrate your 1st birthday 12 months from your birth month.

You then have lived one year. You were on your way to one year during that time from your live birth.

So your birth year is your first year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

".....celebrate your 1st birthday 12 months from your birth month."

So, does that not mean that the 100 year celebration was a year early? The 100th year was not completed until the appropriate number of days had passed.

I guess it all depends upon how one defines birthday the beginning of the birth year, or the anniversary of having completed a year.

Definitions are sooooo complicated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 02:01 pm:

This is way too complicated for my lame brain! That's maybe also why I don't celebrate birthdays. Just another day in my book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 08:22 pm:

My car has a May 24 1919 engine date and being a branch plant car, the build date is even more uncertain. Nevertheless, a year goes by too fast so the celebration starts Jan 1st with a drive down the road, no matter how cold it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 11:03 pm:

Wow. Is this New years Eve, or April Fool's Day, or did I wake up in a world where mathematics is creative and up for debate. At midnight, will it be 2019? Oh wait, it's already 2019 in some parts of the world. What day is on the moon? I think I'll just go to bed and be surprised when I wake up tomorrow. Maybe it will be 2020.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 10:49 am:

Fred,
Your wait is over...

It's now 2019 in New Hampshire.

Remember to stay hydrated on these cool days when the humidity is low.

Cheers to all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 05:53 pm:

It's here Oh boy and yippee Skippy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 06:28 pm:

Only this group could disagree on math.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 06:02 pm:

David,
Do you want a snowblower?
My wife decided that she would rather call the plow guy than go outside in the cold weather.
A few weeks after you sent it back I got another one for a very low price so now I have 3.
We are guaranteed to have very little snow this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 09:08 pm:

Fred,

Not sure what emoticon I should use to reply....

I am sorry to say no to you :-( because you are a friend.....

BUT

I am happy to say no to you :-) because I am happily living in perhaps the nicest Retirement Home in the Northeast (HHH)..with a garage for wifey, a garage for my T, and a carport for my modern car when there is salt on the roads.

AND

I am also sorry for you :-( because you are probably correct about the snowfall - Al Gore said we are experiencing global warming, which will no doubt cut down on the snow accumulation...

BUT

I am happy for you :-) because it is now 2019 and you can celebrate with the necessary fluids.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 09:10 pm:

Whoops...

I should have said:

a garage for wifey's CAR !

See what fluids do to a guy?

Don't drink and post>

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 12:27 pm:

I finally sobered up and reread this whole thread.

All I can say just like the country song is "What was I thinking?"

To confirm my suspicion of illogical cyphering I opened an Excel spreadsheet and inserted 1919 in one of the cells.
Then I did a +1 calculation to make a column of numbers that went to 2019.

Next I put a 1 (1 year old) in the cell next to 1920 and did another column of +1 next to the year column.

To my amazement 2019 and 100 were next to each other.

It is a good thing that I started celebrating the T's 100 birthday/age this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 12:41 pm:

Of course it worked that way.

You put the "whole number" 1 into the calculations.

By that logic, when you were born, that first day should be number 1, and consequently, when you add the next "1" to the equation, your traditional first birthday becomes # 2.
(So many of us were denied the first birthday?)

You used the WHOLE number 1...a year is divided into many parts - more than 300.

Traditionally, a person's birthday is not celebrated until the passing of a complete "WHOLE" year - but in the case of calculating how old our cars are...we CHEAT....and celebrate the anniversary a year early.

Good Morning, Fred!!

;)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration