OT: Dodge Brothers in 1917 - factory tour

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT: Dodge Brothers in 1917 - factory tour
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 03:59 pm:

Here's a Youtube movie showing manufacturing of Dodge Brothers cars in 1917. Since they made Ford parts up until July 15, 1914, a lot of the practises would be similar to how things were done at Ford. Dodge cars were of course more expensive, so they could put some more luxury in them than the Fords of 1917, like leather interiors. The testing of complete cars was also more extensive - they had a very steep hill shown at about 20 minutes that was impressive to me they could climb in icy conditions.

Demounting and packing for shipping by train is also shown.

New to me was that the four door sedan model had demountable door pillars just like the contemporary Ford Coupelet - so there was a four door hardtop model that didn't return until 1956 :-)

And just like Ford did later from 1919, the spare wheel was bare without any tire. Rubber was expensive in 1917.

Ok enough already - Here's the link: https://youtu.be/RYRb5HGOofw

fds

fdht

Happy new year :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 04:12 pm:

Great video and I am amazed how quiet the machines are! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 04:19 pm:

The movie projector sound was a little unnecessary :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

How nice these things are being saved and made available to see.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 08:17 pm:

I noticed that they flowed on the body paint like Ford did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 02:10 am:

The photos above and in the movie are of a center door not 4 door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 10:10 am:

Roger

That was good post....interesting that it bought back a big 'What If'?

What if Henry didn't get so stubborn after he bought back the Dodge Bros. stock in 1919 to 100% own his company, and what if he could look forward?

By 1920 the Dodge car was 2nd in sales in the USA.
After the Dodge Bros. died in 1920, the widows sold the co. in 1925 the co. went down to 7th place, so that it later sold it to Chrysler in 1928.

Had Henry the foresight, he could have bought the Dodge co. and would have a good solid middle car offering in the Dodge, he already had the Lincoln car for the upper market.

Then Ford would have still made and sold lots of entry level Model Ts, and Dodge, and Lincoln and would have been the top contender :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 07:21 pm:

Cool video that showed us at least 2 right hand drive cars on the line and on the test track!
Haha! I agree wholeheartedly about the sound track Roger! Our brains then could've given us a better soundtrack INSIDE our heads.
Dopey me! I could've turned the sound down on my phone instead...
Thanks for finding and posting this. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration