Wheel base

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Wheel base
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig hall on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 03:17 pm:

I assembled my car after restoration and have a difference in the wheel base front to back of 1 inch, what could it be? The frame was square before I put the body on

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble - New Hamshire on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 03:50 pm:

I have never measured the wheelbase front and rear, it it could be normal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark A Strange on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

Front radius rod bent on one side?

Rear axle radius rods bent or not adjusted evenly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxWPsF4KhQ&t=107s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 04:10 pm:

I would suspect Mark's answer "B"
Also make sure the front wheels are both pointing dead straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 04:53 pm:

Front axle could have gotten turned around, that would possibly change the wheelbase if the perches weren't turned around accordingly. Check to see that the bosses on the perches are towards the rear. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 07:31 pm:

Front axel in wrong bent radiouse rods
Plus could been wear in every part you rebiult

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig hall on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 09:09 pm:

Thanks guys for the advice I will let you know what I find. Happy New Year to all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

If you don't have the front and rear axles supported by the radius rods, that can throw you off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Monday, December 31, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

I found references (Vintage Ford & Ford Manual) to two (2) different measurements. One stated 99" while the other stated 100". I don't remember which was which.

You also didn't state if it grew or shrank. New bolts and bushings might explain a growth. Also rear radious rods out of their original position could cause either condition.

The wheelbase on my speedster grew when lowering the center of gravity. The angle of the drive shaft lessened this lengthening about 1/2" .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 09:46 am:

Craig, do you mean a 1" difference from left side to right side?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 10:35 am:

I never measured my Ts. Not sure of the source, specs I read long ago said WB is 100". A side to side difference isn't good, but a lot of Ts then and now "dog track" a little . . . "it don't hurt the runnin' of 'em none . . ."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bean on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 01:46 pm:

Page 153 of The Model T Ford Owner by Murray Fahnestock, has a some measurements of the chassis. The wheel base is 99 inches on this diagram.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig hall on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 04:38 pm:

The Passenger side is 99!/2 the driver side is 98 1/2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 05:40 pm:

Bent socket on oil pan or short radius rod to the rear axle, or possibly both

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 06:33 pm:

Might have a very rare trapezoid frame
😊😊😊

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration